Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Height Mapping with The Gimp

Default Height Mapping with The Gimp

For those who use the free program Gimp (www.gimp.org) for height mapping patterns I have adapted a chart showing the CarveWright tool height and corresponding Gimp color value and HTML codes. I used the tool height chart that was posted on this forum a while back as a basis for mine. Eddie (eelamb) posted the original but I sure hope you don't mind my additions to your very handy chart. I know you spent a lot of time composing it and am in no way taking credit for it. Just a few additions that I thought might help the Gimp users...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tool Height Chart for Gimp Height Mapping.pdf 
Views:	107 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	65788
    Last edited by Geomoo1; 11-09-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due.
    George

Is there a tutorial out there for height mapping? Been trying on my own and not been very successful with it.

Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I meant with Gimp...sorry forgot to mention it!

Sure go to youtube.com and type in gimp, there are hundreds of tutorials there.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    I meant with Gimp...sorry forgot to mention it!
    Here are the Gimp tutorials on height mapping... https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ping+task&sm=1

I downloaded them so I would have access to them even if my connection is down and I need a quick reference from one of the videos.

Here is another video that might be of interest to you... http://www.cncmodelclub.com/free-cnc...in-gimp-2-8-2/
    George

Thanks all!

Geomooq1,

Am I right in assuming that the color value for .23 and .24 should be 8 and 4, not 80 and 40?

Thanks Eddie and Geo,this chart will be very helpful to me.

George, your chart is a great tool for the forum members. I have no problem with you post the information. If either help the CW community then we have made a step forward.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by ridgecrest View Post
    Geomooq1,

Am I right in assuming that the color value for .23 and .24 should be 8 and 4, not 80 and 40?

Thanks Eddie and Geo,this chart will be very helpful to me.
    ridgecrest, you are correct. They should indeed be 8 and 4. It seems the program I was using decided I needed a zero after the 8 and 4 for some reason. It has been corrected.
    George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast