Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Height pattern

Default Height pattern

Some time ago, I believe Al asked about a height pattern showing gray scale for a pattern. I have made up such a pattern, for you to download and look at. Plus I have included 2 images in PNG format. One without text for importing if you like, so you can use it in PE. The other with text showing the tool height if this shade of gray was used. I need to explain tool height so everyone understands what I am talking about. Tool height is the height of the tool from the base of your carving. Lets say your carve is .25" deep. Then using the shade of gray for .01" will give you a depth of .25-.01=.24" from the top of the board. If you use .5" deep, then you will get a depth for that same shade of gray of .49" deep. Tool height is from the bottom of your carve region.
    With that said enjoy the pattern place it on a board run your cursor over each section and you will see the depth mentioned above. Use this to create your heights in a photo editing program knowing you will get the exact height you want for each area you shade with gray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails height pattern.png   height pattern1.png   height pattern.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eelamb; 07-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Just stopped to say thank you .

Eddie,

Thanks and good job!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

THANKS BUDDY !!!!!

Looks GREAT !!!!

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

That will be very useful. Many thanks as always.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Really a great tool and I now understand a whole lot more about the relationship of the carve depth and the shades.

Thx, Rick H

Thanks Bruce and want2b
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thank you! This is will be very useful to me.

For those not understanding, go back in time to your coloring book days. Instead of a color you use shades of gray. Now go to the internet and look for coloring books images. Download them, and fill in the various section with shades of gray. Once finished add a little Gaussian blur (1 or 2) to the image. This gives it some roundness. Save the image and import into designer. Now practice, and remove the black lines making them the same shades of gray, this time do a little gradient on the various sections. Keep at it, and you will fine out you have made a great patterns. Alan has some tutorials on this very thing. See this post by George http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...-with-The-Gimp for more information.

Dbemus, you are welcome.

Eddie

Here is Alan's video on youtube showing how to do the same thing using layers and gradient.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UWUEM3BPE

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast