Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: join spiral with line?

Default join spiral with line?

how do you join spline with a line? can't get them to join so I can make a cutout!

what am I doing wrong.... also still running 1.125, will that make a difference?

picture a box with the top being an spline shape. can not get the line to all connect so I can use the cutout tool..
    Last edited by woodknack; 01-18-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    From windows to Mac and I'll never look back!

Post the MPC so we can see it.

Make sure it doesn't have any commercially bought patterns in it. Just the lines you're working with.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by woodknack View Post
    how do you join spline with a line? can't get them to join so I can make a cutout!

what am I doing wrong.... also still running 1.125, will that make a difference?

picture a box with the top being an spline shape. can not get the line to all connect so I can use the cutout tool..
    Have you tried grouping them then use the cut out function?

Ike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Have you tried grouping them then use the cut out function?

Ike
    Ike,

I think he just doesn't have them actually connected. You don't have to group them to have them connected and use the cut path or carve region.

Woodknack,

Be sure you have both the spline and lines selected. Then drag the end of the line to the end of the spline until you see the red star like symbol.

See picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connected.jpg  
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

they wont connect.. ive tried... i wonder if it has anything to do with 1.125?
    mirror.mpc
    how do you select both at the same time?
    Last edited by woodknack; 01-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodknack View Post
    they wont connect.. ive tried... i wonder if it has anything to do with 1.125?
    mirror.mpc
    how do you select both at the same time?
    Figured it out try this, all your lines were not connected. When you see a X over each dot they are connected. No you don't need to group them I find it helps to see what dot isn't connected. Oh to highlight all lines hold down control while clicking each line

Ike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ike; 01-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.

You have to hold down the Control key and select ALL the lines and then connect them.

It has nothing to do with 1.125. Works fine in that version. Right now you have an arc (not spline) on top. The vertical line on the right and the bottom line are connected but not to the arc, the left vertical line is not connected to either the bottom line or the arc.

I connected them all and it all works fine. Unfortunately, all I can give you is a screen shot of it with the cut out because I'm using version 1.132 and if I save it, you won't be able to open it. Unless you upgrade of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connected.jpg  
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Sorry didn't think of you not being able to open the file without upgrading. Oh and my bad I fixed it control not shift!
    Ike

I find it helps to zoom in on the spot your wanting to join. My mouse has a wheel, so I just turn the wheel and it zooms in and out. Also with 1.132 you now can adjust side to side and up and down or straight on depending on where your cersor is on the screen.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    You have to hold down the Control key and select ALL the lines and then connect them.

It has nothing to do with 1.125. Works fine in that version. Right now you have an arc (not spline) on top. The vertical line on the right and the bottom line are connected but not to the arc, the left vertical line is not connected to either the bottom line or the arc.

I connected them all and it all works fine. Unfortunately, all I can give you is a screen shot of it with the cut out because I'm using version 1.132 and if I save it, you won't be able to open it. Unless you upgrade of course.

I hold down the control key and click on the lines and nothing happens?

Also do not get the red x when the lines connect?
    Yes I changed it to an arc from the spline hoping that was the problem.
    I am using a mac if that makes any difference..
    It wont let me open up the MPC that where made by other people unless I upgrade to the newer version. Still have the old z truck. Should I stay with 1.125 or upgrade?

Im doing something wrong to connect the lines?
    Last edited by woodknack; 01-19-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast