Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler blowing off during carve

Default Muffler blowing off during carve

It is the first time that that has happened to me but the Muffler bag is blowing off the machine during carve. Turned the machine off put it back on and started carving again. After a few seconds it blew off again. Stopped again cleaned the bag real good, put it back on, started and it blew of again. Right before the first "blow" the rpm's started to increase, at least that's what it sounds like. Stopped completely and when I removed the board there was a screw about 1 inch long black, philips flat head with head taper laying on top. It is smaller than an M5. Looked thru the parts list but the screws that I found with that length go on the x-axis wheels or the cover switch opposite the key board. I don't know if one has to do with the other, but your input is greatly appreciated as always.
    Thanks
    Eva

I have had mine blow off, and also mine has blown a hole in the seam of the end of the bag. I have had the machine since June and the hole appeared very early on in the young life of the machine. It does not see to have any effect on the machine.

Jeff Corder

The bag is not necessary to run the machine. It is merely a muffler to help dampen the noise from the cut motor. If you would prefer to have a bag without a hole, you can always call our sales team and purchase one.

If you wish to save a little money, some of our customers have actually put a sock over the bag to create their own "Bag". I'm not saying to do this, its just what others have done in the past.

Also, I am not sure why the machine keeps blowing it off, but removing it and then placing it on again will wear down the plastic pieces, resulting in a loss of material for the parts to grip on.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

LOL Alex you sound like my wife, she has told me to put a sock in it if few times..LOL. The hole causes it to be a bit more loud than before, but I wear plugs anyway. I don't notice much dust at all since I put my machine on a downdraft table.

Jeff Corder

Wink

I had the same problem and tried the sock - problem I found with the sock is it reduced the air flow and seemed to make the cut motor run harder and strain more. I came up with an idea - used a flex hose off of an old canister vacuum cleaner and ran it into my downdraft box. Air flow is supurb and seems to run quieter. IT does not interfer with boards as I secured it to the side.

Audie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Muffler fix2.jpg  
    CarveWright - 192 days and still not able to carve

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    I had the same problem and tried the sock - problem I found with the sock is it reduced the air flow and seemed to make the cut motor run harder and strain more. I came up with an idea - used a flex hose off of an old canister vacuum cleaner and ran it into my downdraft box. Air flow is supurb and seems to run quieter. IT does not interfer with boards as I secured it to the side.

Audie
    Wow! Great idea. Alex do you see any problem with doing that? Will it restrict anything in the machine?

Jeff Corder

No worries, Eva - it's just taken you a little longer than the rest of us to find that you have a screw loose

I don't think that Audie's setup will hurt anything. As long as the hose does not interfere with the workings of the machine, it should be fine. However, keep in mind that modifying the machine can void the warranty, so I would be hesitant about making drastic changes. It looks like Audie hasn't even modified his, just plugged in a vacuum hose.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

perfect, I will just slip it into the muffler port and make no changes....any luck on that file I sent you Alex?

Jeff Corder

Jeff and Alex,

The vacuum flex hose fit perfectly without any modification to the CW. At first I ran the hose out the window but the sawdust was just blowing back into my shop - then it hit me- hmmmmm, the downdraft box would be take care of that problem, so a hole saw bit took care of that problem fast!

Audie
    CarveWright - 192 days and still not able to carve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast