Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So came home to this....(flex shaft melted)

Default So came home to this....(flex shaft melted)

So stepped out for a bit while a carving was running and came back to this.

Knew it was coming...had a hot spot on the cable when I purchased the machine.

Hopefully looks worse than it is and damage is limited to the flex shaft assembly. (which is currently back ordered)

Anything special I should be looking at that could have been affected by this meltdown? Or is it normally limited to the shaft assembly itself?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	82789

The flex shaft will run with a melted housing, as long as the cable and spring guide are still in good shape. The spring guide, should be a one piece unit. The shaft should have no wear spots or loose wires. If all inspects good you should be able to run until the new cable arrives. The cable should be lube on a regular basis to keep this from happening.

It is important that the flex core "float" in the sheath. The hot spot you spoke of makes me thing the core was being compressed between the motor and the spindle. Make sure the square ends slip easily and completely into the motor and spindle slots.

Insure that the shaft and core make a nice circle/rounded shape from the outlet of the machine into the top hat. Any slight bends/kinks will put a stress point and cause undo rubbing and over heat. I also loosely wire tie the wire to the flex core to insure it stays aligned with the core.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo288.jpg   Photo286.jpg   Photo287.jpg  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I will be take this downtime as an opportunity to perform some of the routine inspections and maintenance.
    The "hot spot" I spoke of was the result of a wire tie installed by the previous owner. I removed it after i noticed the melting..but it was too late. Only got a couple of more runs out of it before it went cablooy.

Sent you a PM

Nothing in my inbox...may want to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Sent you a PM

I did some house cleaning, should have gone now

Quote Originally Posted by kzushma View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I will be take this downtime as an opportunity to perform some of the routine inspections and maintenance.
    The "hot spot" I spoke of was the result of a wire tie installed by the previous owner. I removed it after i noticed the melting..but it was too late. Only got a couple of more runs out of it before it went cablooy.
    I had the same thing when my wire tie was to tight, that is why I stated "loosely".
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I had the same thing when my wire tie was to tight, that is why I stated "loosely".
    Right. Also saw your photo. Much better way to go than what was on mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast