Thread: Belt on Version C shredding

Default Belt on Version C shredding

I don't know why this belt started tracking wrong and started to shred. Let me know how to fix the problem and do I need to get new belt from carve weight?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-05-07_12-01-22_120.jpg   2011-05-07_12-01-09_139.jpg  

Default Sandpaper Belt damage

Quote Originally Posted by WDS View Post
    I don't know why this belt started tracking wrong and started to shred. Let me know how to fix the problem and do I need to get new belt from carve weight?
    It would appear that you had a nail or screw protrude through your board, or you have some chips inside the belt area.

The quick fix is to take a razor or knife and slice the belt, just to the side of the bad area.
    This slice will be going the same direction as the wood travels. Once the slice is started you can hand-roll the belt and tear off the bad area.

Here is another link that speraks to adjusting your belts that will also come in handy.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...671#post103671

At some point, you will want to order new belts, Just make sure you think of any other items you wish so you better justify the shipping cost.
    AskBud

PS: Was this machine new or reconditioned? Where was it purchased?
    Last edited by AskBud; 05-07-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by WDS View Post
    Hello,

Hard to tell for sure, but from the photos it appears you have "belt drift" tracking problem. It looks like the entire left edge is fraying/rubbing against something. This is usually caused by a head pressure and/or "head uneven" issue (both easily fixed). Whatever the cause, you will need new belts and you will need to discover the source of the problem and correct it before running the machine with your new belts.

You may be able to troubleshoot/find/fix the cause by reading the following Tips & Tricks
    ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking

I hope that will help. Don't hesitate to check-in here or with CarveWright Tech Support, if you need more help.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Just to add to the posting that we can cause a belt to track into the keypad by placing a board in the machine at an angle.... You should always get in a habit of right after we crank the head down to look or feel the board edge on each side of the machine as standing at the keypad. That rail that is part of the left rail and brass roller.... I touch the area at the end of that rail and the board edge looking for a gap as in I loaded the board at an angle... It is often that I un crank the head and pull the board to the correct position up against the left fence.

So this could have been caused by Pilot Error.... As in loading a board at an angle.... With that being said.... Ask Bud and MT both have valid points about pressure. I too get this tracking problem as I cut 80% 6 inch wide boards and 20% 11.25 wide. When you cut a 6 inch board and crank the head down, sometimes the pressure on the board on the sand paper belt cause it to stretch slightly doing all the work. This makes a cone or taper shape of the belt and then the creeping starts.... I watch my belt... As soon as it is 1/8 of an inch from the end of the roller on the keypad side then I rip off a 1/2 inch section of the belt. As can be seen in the picture I do it quite often...

So it is all part of knowing your machine.... When you order 2 sets of belts to save on Shipping and be able to complete that weekend project when a belt rips.... Also order two sets of Cut Motor Brushes as you will need to replace them every 250 Cut Motor Hours...

Good Luck,

AL

Picture 1 Belt TOO Close to Keypad Side. Even or PAST the Rubber Roller, Needs Trimming....

Picture 2 Ripping a section of the belt with power off using my hand to push the belts.

Picture 3 Ripping Done... See the collection of Rips....

Picture 4 Close Up showing the Roller YOU Should SEE.... When the belt rolls over you cannot always see it.... When it rolls under you get tracking errors and broken bits... As the Roll Under Doubles the Thickness of the Sand Paper raising the wood OFF the Brass Roller... It can also JAM and SNAP the X Drive Gear.....

One last thing... That Left Board Edge in Picture 4 is the one you need to feel or look at on both ends after cranking the head down...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02198_WEB.jpg   DSC02200_WEB.jpg   DSC02201_WEB.jpg   DSC02202_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com