Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I V Carve?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sign dude View Post
    Hello to all,
    I make signs that are v carved with a 60 degree bit and a CNC router. The soft where I use is Enroute to generate G-code. I know the CarveWright will not take the G-code so I am asking... will the center line cut feature cut and follow the path as a vcarve program will. I need a portable machine and this would fit my needs if it does what I need it to.
    Here is a picture of a sign I make, I can cut this in 3 mins. can i do this on the CarveWright?
    Yeah, we can handle that. This is a customer with a sign he requested. Eight feet long so it took a little more than 3 minutes. Cut with a 90 degree bit. You know you have a good machine when you can do an eight foot sign in one setup!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails randys sign.jpg  
    Last edited by TerryT; 02-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    You got it! I watched Norm every Saturday morning for 20 years or so. He was like family. I also enjoyed the router workshop and miss it as well.

I should apologize to Sign Dude for messing up his thread but something tells me he ain't coming back anyway. Hope I'm wrong.
    Hello!! ..... echo.....echo.....
    Sign Dude! ..... echo.....echo

Darn, guess I was right.

First let me say hello to sign dude-- welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you find the info you are looking for. If you tell me the size of the letters and what font you are looking to do I'll do an estimate on how long it will take. It will, as others have stated, probably be quite a bit longer than 3 minutes, but until we know how large the fonts are I can't tell you how long for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    I miss the Router Workshop and The New Yankee Workshop. Did Norm ever get to try out a CarveWright? The Woodwight show has also disappeared in this market too, so as you've said nothing worth watching. All in all I'd rather be creating than watching anyhow but I miss my Mentors and their ideas. It was like having a whole other set of skilled Grandfathers and Uncles willing to teach me.

Secondly, Captain- here's a little gift from me to you in case you haven't found them--
    This season of the woodwright
    http://video.unctv.org/program/1421129721/
    The previous 5 seasons
    http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/v...000/index.html
    a "new" (old) episode of NYW every week
    http://www.newyankee.com/online
    40 or so woodworks episodes-- they are hit or miss as to whether the video is there or not--the * is a good indicator (click on the titles to go to the video site)
    http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp
    "the woodworking channel" - above the actual video box are the different "channels" to watch and there are dozens of shows available including 40 or so episodes of the router workshop
    http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/do...eo_library.php

I hope you find these of use-- and (to answer your q. on another post) unfortunately I won't be able to attend the conference. I'd love to meet you guys in person though. Maybe next year.
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Secondly, Captain- here's a little gift from me to you in case you haven't found them--
    This season of the woodwright
    The previous 5 seasons
    a "new" (old) episode of NYW every week
    40 or so woodworks episodes-- they are hit or miss as to whether the video is there or not[URL]
    "the woodworking channel" - above the actual video box are the different "channels" to watch and there are dozens of shows available including 40 or so episodes of the router workshop
    I hope you find these of use--

and (to answer your q. on another post) unfortunately I won't be able to attend the conference. I'd love to meet you guys in person though. Maybe next year.
    Lawrence
    Good morning Lawrence,

How very kind of you to pass along these links to my favorites on-line. I had not come across any of them. I was too busy grousing and complaining about not having anything to watch instead of searching. You have re-filled my Saturdays for the foreseeable future. Thanks.

Sorry you can't be with us in Texas this May but we'll try to report on the Convention activities and provide some photos of the rabble so you too can put names with faces. We'll meet in person somewhere one of these days. Again, many thanks Lawrence.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

5. Default

Wow, this past Saturday was great! Everything was on. They were mostly all on one channel instead of 3 different ones. But rough cut is on the same channel and time as Norm used to be.

How come nobody has mentioned the WoodSmith Shop? I like their show.

Saturday mornings are usually reserved for soccer/gardening/shop time... My television is pretty much relegated to cartoon and Playstation duty unless it is football season. I tend to either use a portable dvd player or my ipod. I watch shows while working out on the eliptical (about 5 hours per week) or in bed at night before falling asleep.

I'm currently watching the Charles Brock DVDs that came with the plans for a Maloof style rocker and dining chair (upcoming projects)

I also really enjoy watching the old fine ww'ing videos on Tage Frid etc.

When I have insomnia (and I can't stress enough how well this works for me) I put in the instructional dvds that came with my incra router table or the instructional dvd for my norton waterstones. Like something out of a sci-fi movie I fall asleep within 5 minutes every time. LOML is nervous that one day I'll use the video in my shop to make a double dovetail and when I turn it on I'll fall asleep in my shop

I sure wish I could get the rough cut show here as I find Tommy to be entertaining, though Norm is one of the men that inspired me to start ww'ing in the first place and I'll always value his television mentorship.

My favorite by far is the woodwright show. Roy Underhill is truly one of our nation's treasures.

Lawrence

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Deolman View Post
    How come nobody has mentioned the WoodSmith Shop? I like their show.
    In my area Woodsmith shop replaced New Yankee Workshop on PBS and then three weeks ago it was replaced with rough cut. I also liked the woodsmith shop but its gone from my area now. I also like the Wood Whisperer which is an online show.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/

Can one also use a 1/2" ball nose or straight bit for signs? The program will not let you choose a bit once you have selected text.

Quote Originally Posted by dataman001 View Post
    Can one also use a 1/2" ball nose or straight bit for signs? The program will not let you choose a bit once you have selected text.
    You must be selecting a Raster carve, as the bit selection is available in Outline and Centerline. However, it may not be wise to stray too far from the suggested bits.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast