Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowes is shorting us

Default Lowes is shorting us

I usually buy my select pine a Lowes. The 4 footers are easy to handle and two 4 footers are cheaper than one eight foot. My last visit a bought four 1X12X4. Of the four two of them only measured just over 11 3/16" wide, not the expected 11 1/4". I changed the board size in designer to 11.188 (3/16) and the project still ran fine. From now on I plan to use the 11.188" to start with and save a few steps.

Angry Short

Check them all I got some that were only 11"
    JIM

Not only do you have to check width, you have to sort through all of the cupped, bowed and twisted stuff as well. The selection is very poor most of the time...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Depends on the Humidity too.... If it has sat inside as kiln dried wood near a heat source, it might have shrunk more. It would be interesting to know the board Moisture content?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeaCapt97 View Post
    I usually buy my select pine a Lowes. The 4 footers are easy to handle and two 4 footers are cheaper than one eight foot. My last visit a bought four 1X12X4. Of the four two of them only measured just over 11 3/16" wide, not the expected 11 1/4". I changed the board size in designer to 11.188 (3/16) and the project still ran fine. From now on I plan to use the 11.188" to start with and save a few steps.

Having bought lumber all my life, I can tell you it all varies a lot. I've gotten 1 x 12 that range from 11-7/8 to 11-5/8 in width.

Sometimes on the same board from end to end...LOL

Which is why I always buy my wood and first rip it to the smallest dimension. This insures it's parallel as well which is crucial for the CW. Then I lay out my design to the finished size.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

I am buying Select Pine (kiln-dried) from Lowes. A year ago, the 1x12's measured .75" x 11.3".

Now, they measure .75" x 11.22"

I first noticed the 'board shrinkage' when trying to run one of my own projects set at a board width of 11.25". The machine alerted me to scale the project, so I knew something was amiss. Sure enough, the board was smaller than it used to be.

One thing I have started to do on projects that use a 1x12 (nominal) is specify the board width to be 11". Hopefully, our boards won't shrink below that!

I do not use (nor recommend) pine that is less than Select grade - too wet - too 'pitchy'. Of course, if one wants a knotty pine effect, they would want to dry the lumber themselves before putting in the machine, and make sure they use a piece that's not warped, cupped, twisted (kind of hard to find unless using dry Select Pine or dry hardwoods).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I got a board from the other big box store and it was different sizes the whole length. went from right size to almost a 1/4 inch difference in the middle to almost the right size at the other end. I wish i had the land and space so that i could cut my own lumber. The guys on here that have their own mills are the only ones getting the "mominal size" anymore.
    Mike

Even better than 'select', is moulding grade sugar pine. You won't find it at Lowes, but any lumber dealer that caters to cabinet shops & building contractors will carry it.
    It is very fine grained, knot free, & kiln dried. I usually buy mine rough, in thicknesses up to 16/4 as I've found that by processing my own lumber to dimension is better for me. I can more easily get a 1x12 or a 2x 14 1/2 if that's what the project requires.
    Dimensioned lumber is also available from those sources as well.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I have found that I dont have a choice but to buy rough and finish it myself. I used to love the select pine at Lowes for simple signs and plaques. Now when I go try to find a board they are all gouged and dented and smashed up in general. It's like the stock guy kicked it down the isle instead of carrying it to the shelf....

Craig

Default Lowes Is Shorting Us

I am very fortune to be able to buy rough cut lumber of many types from the amish in our nearby area. a lot of their hardwood comes from pennsylvania and indiana. i then am able to cut it and plane it to size. i am finding the same thing out at various lumberyards on the sizes.
    MAX COX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast