Thread: Cutting out a carving

Default Cutting out a carving

Just need to know if when you use the cut path function, what is recommended for work holding? Should I use a carrier board or a sled? I have attached my pattern. Just trying not to damage my machine. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Cutout

gcruise,

How big is your real board?

If it is 9.25+ X 24, you're good to go!

A board that big may give you problems (cup, bow, twist, warp) be sure of good contact with the brass roller - ask Al.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 10-31-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Thought
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Hello,

I normally like to leave a little clearance for a cut path at the top edge of the board (at least 1/2" away from the top edge)...BUT, you'll probably be ok - main concern was that the cutting bit could hit the brass board sensor, but I think the software will "dodge" it if you are using the latest software version.

Ditto, that your actual board you place in the machine is at least 24" long, as Doc already pointed out. Using a board shorter than that will cause the board to leave the hold down rollers during the project run - fairly high risk of breaking your cutting bit - $40 wasted in a hurry - avoid it by using proper length.

The other option is use a sled that is at least 24" long and place your 17" long board on top of that with two 3½" scrap boards on each end, as I'm sure you already know). If you are running the project on rare or expensive wood, then you'll want to use a sled for sure to save the 7" of waste.

If the project is being run on just pine or poplar, I likely would use a 1x12x24" board (no sled)...i.e., nominal measurement .75" x 11.2" x 24" (actual length)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Out of habit I always design 1/2" off the edge and 3/4" off the edge on the brass roller side. I do have 1000's of board feet of lumber though, so I guess if you just do not have the lumber fine, but be careful.

I think in general a good design practice may be to leave the pattern off the edges. Sometimes I just use a wider board than is specified in the design and usually have no issues, it's the same effect as designing away from the edges.
    Last edited by seabass; 10-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Default Reconsidering

gcruise,

While eating, I got to thinking about what I wrote and came back to ammend my post - too late!

I should have added that I would have taped rails to the top and bottom.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

- Thomas Jefferson

- Mohandas Gandhi

I am thinking you would be better off using a longer, wider board. Have attached a revised MPC to show you what I mean. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

Default Cutting out a carving

Good Morning All,
    Thanks for all the info., it was very helpful. As to using a sled, what is the recommend way to attach the work piece? Work piece will be actual dimension of W 15.0" x H 9.0" x .750". (also have one that will be W 15.0" x 14.0" x .750") I am using pine to experiment but want to use oak, walnut and cherry in later carves. Thanks a ton for all the info.

Guy

Default Thick cutout on a sled

gcruise,

I'm not sure that LHR has fixed their problem with using a sled to cut-out anything over half inch thick, I would still recommend just using rails.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

- Thomas Jefferson

- Mohandas Gandhi

Default sled

Doc,
    When i use asled ,i don't ever put anything in but the .75 thickness of my wood. When i set acutpath i enter about .002 or .003 over on each pass, iusually use three passes to protect my bit. I get a good cut every time.Ialso use sheetrock screws from the bottom corners,keeping them away from any carve area.

wooden nickel

Default I would like some more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by wooden nickel View Post
    Doc,
    When i use asled ,i don't ever put anything in but the .75 thickness of my wood. When i set acutpath i enter about .002 or .003 over on each pass, iusually use three passes to protect my bit. I get a good cut every time.Ialso use sheetrock screws from the bottom corners,keeping them away from any carve area.
    My question is, do you answer to the prompt for the cutout "board" or "Project"?
    And, I'm not sure of your 2-3 thousandths inch statement. And, does the firmware recognize these numbers now or are we still working in 128ths?
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 11-01-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarity
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

- Thomas Jefferson

- Mohandas Gandhi