Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cut motor fault

Quote Originally Posted by icebite1 View Post
    ok, called carvewright tec. went thru pretty much all the trouble shoothing that was suggested here including volt and ohm checks.,took about 45 min on phone, tec thinks motor bad. sending me new one .supposed to have by end of week. im a little skeptical as to why it tries to carve when there are no motor rpm's , would seem more like a board malfunction, o well we will see. i will post results after new motor is installed. thanks everyone for the help
    Your machine is not carving if the main drive motor is not running, the only part working is that your X,Y, and Z drive motors are working. The motor that drives your bit is not part of that function. It could be a bad brush in the motor, if you are getting voltage to the motor.
    Last edited by bjbethke; 10-12-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Before you install the motor remove the bottom plate and check the C1 Capacitor on the X Termination board for a broken lead....

Unplug machine first.

Caused by the QC Vibration, like the L2 coil on the power supply board the weight of the Capacitor vibrates and the copper wire bends until it fails.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07793_WEB.jpg   DSC07813_WEB.jpg   DSC07799_WEB.jpg   DSC07811_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default cut motor

I just had the same problem with my Compoocarve:. I put in a new set of brushes and bench tested to still no go. I slammed the motor (gentle slam - come on guys we have all done that before out of frustration LOL) and the motor started and stopped. I took the motor apart and found one of the wires from the brush holder was off the tab. Only problem was there was only about 1/16" of tab left. So I slipped the connector on the tab and soldered it.
    Bench tested it and it worked. I put everything back together and it has been running okay.
    I bought my machine in Feb. of 07 so I also had to deal with the magnate and the cracked plastic motor housing but that is another story. It is working so that is all that counts. I wonder if they consider a cracked motor housing a rebuildable core?
    Thought I would throw this out in case anybody had cut motor problems. Something to check.

Dan
    PS: If you bench test the motor hold on to it - it has one heck of a kick.

Default Kick

Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post
    PS: If you bench test the motor hold on to it - it has one heck of a kick.
    Should we ask how you know that, or what your experience was?
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default Bench test

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Should we ask how you know that, or what your experience was?
    Experience. I wasn't expecting the torque that the little motor has and how fast it reves up. Just a warning if anybody tries this, hold on to it. Now I understand how the plastic motor housing cracks. Soft start like they have on routers might help the cracking of the plastic motor casing.

Dan

thanks everyone for additional suggestions, went thru the capacitor checks with the tec on the phone, they were ok, i relize that the machine is not carving if the motor isnt running i only said it was trying to. ie: bit actually removing wood while being moved accross the project befor i could shut it off. am going to remove the motor tonight and will check as suggested. thanks again for suggestions

Default Same Problem

I had the same problem a couple of times last week. Tapping on the cut motor started the motor. Call LHR and they said it was the brushes. Ordered two sets as they were only $5 per set. I don't know how hard to put them in. They were to send instructions but failed to do so.

jack

Quote Originally Posted by jjack9485 View Post
    I had the same problem a couple of times last week. Tapping on the cut motor started the motor. Call LHR and they said it was the brushes. Ordered two sets as they were only $5 per set. I don't know how hard to put them in. They were to send instructions but failed to do so.

jack
    Jack,

Here is a post from Mr. Faithful (Al) on the cut motor. Everything one needs to know about the cut motor..

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...+motor+brushes
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default brushes?

Al, if you go to "sticky" troubleshooting threads page 3 #18 thread i think you will find access to cut motor service, the tec ruled out brushes said they should be good for around 200 hrs. doesnt mean they couldnt be stuck, BJ said to check brushes also. ill know more when i get motor off, charlie

Quote Originally Posted by icebite1 View Post
    Al, if you go to "sticky" troubleshooting threads page 3 #18 thread i think you will find access to cut motor service, the tec ruled out brushes said they should be good for around 200 hrs. doesnt mean they couldnt be stuck, BJ said to check brushes also. ill know more when i get motor off, charlie
    Icebite1,

I will go to the "Sticky" and check it out. Your never too old to learn something new.... Especially Tomorrow my Birthday....

I have learned so much since the 2007 post on the Cut Motors....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast