Alan, I only have the stl importer add on. Sculptor and stl import are different. Sculptor is a very simple 3d object editor while the stl importer is just that, an stl format importer. It can import whole 3d objects or create slices of the object to build up a layered 3d carving if you want.

3d object manipulation can get very complex and the simplicity of sculptor allows new users to start playing in 3d almost instantly but there are other options for 3d object manipulation. Unfortunately the learning curve on them is usually very high unless you already have a 3d background. I use blender 3d which is free. Given a choice of only one or the other, now that I am a little smarter on the software, I would choose stl importer. I feel like I have a lot more options now that I have learned how to do 3d models and having the ability to slice patterns to build even bigger carves if needed.

Regardless of which one you have you will have tons of fun with it. My laser is in the corner gathering dust while my little CW is making sawdust most weekends (only a hobby for me as well). Enjoy your vacation.

- Oscar