Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden ships on the CW

If you'd like to send me a section to work on, I can see what you might be taliking about. Yes I can do video (I'm a computer graphics tech by experience), and write up or show a screen practicum, but I've got a feeling that maybe this might be too large a project to commit to, unless you only need a brief explanation on how I'd do it.

I'm more than willing to give you a hand, however, if I'm not commiting too much time (which I sometimes seem to do).

Bob Hill
    bobhill@ij.net
    Tampa, Florida[/QUOTE]

I have no trouble drawing just about anything from scratch. (adesigner.com)
    When I generate a set of lofted ribs for the CNC from compufoil (the program I use for generating airfoil templates), it is one file and the cam software runs it just fine.
    Doing one rib at a time would take hours. What you are saying is that to use CW I just have to draw each rib in Corel, fill, export, import into CW, trace, etc.. I've attached a sample dxf file as it comes from my program.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by tbroeski View Post
    I have no trouble drawing just about anything from scratch. (adesigner.com)
    When I generate a set of lofted ribs for the CNC from compufoil (the program I use for generating airfoil templates), it is one file and the cam software runs it just fine.
    Doing one rib at a time would take hours. What you are saying is that to use CW I just have to draw each rib in Corel, fill, export, import into CW, trace, etc.. I've attached a sample dxf file as it comes from my program.
    Yes, that's the basic process, though I use Illustrator instead of Corel.

I took your DXF, loaded into Illustrator, applied a fill to each part, exported as a PNG (see the attached PNG), imported the PNG into Designer, placed the pattern on a board and applied "Outline Pattern(s)" (see the attached 3panel_png_outline.mpc).

Alternatively, I took the DXF, loaded into Illustrator, saved the path as an Illustrator 8 .ai, and used ai2mpc to directly generate the MPC vector paths (see the attached 3panel_dxf_ai_ai2mpc.mpc).

I wasn't sure of the scale, so the design is likely the wrong dimensions.

tbroeski,
    I did the same thing as jlitz, except I used CorelDraw and below is the PDF of that DXF file of yours. I made the PNG files, but didn't put it into MPC format, as the grain would be wrong for wing ribs, particularly if you are using balsa or basswood. If using plywood, no problem using the rib layout as you have it. Remember, however, that even using the new 1/16 cutting bit, the inside of your slots will not be right angle, so you'll either have to round the rib stiffiners or file the slots a tad for a tight fit.

The only other item to concern you, of course is to be sure that you space each rib location in the layout to consider the size of the cutting bit. But expecially with your vecttor drafting skills, as shown, you should have no trouble at all. And, voila, you've opened a whole new world for yourself (and others, I suspect).
    Bob Hill
    Last edited by BobHill; 12-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    tbroeski,
    Remember, however, that even using the new 1/16 cutting bit, the inside of your slots will not be right angle, so you'll either have to round the rib stiffiners or file the slots a tad for a tight fit.

Bob Hill
    Thanks. Very helpful and not bad for the CW. Will still need to figure out how to get leading and trailing edges right and deal with the rounding of everything. I use 1/64" spiral carbide cutting bits (random box from Harborfreight) that work great in balsa. Will break if I cut anything else with them.

If your 1/64" carbide spiral bits are the ones I'm thinking of, I also have some of those, however I've never tried them on the CW, only my Dremel. I normally don't use balsa, however, so I'm not so sure if I'd have much luck with those. The "softest" (but still hardwood) wood that I use is basswood which is close to balsa, but a tad more rigid. Perhaps one of these days I'll give it a try. Most of the time I use cherry for my ribs, but then weight isn't a problem with my type models. Let us know how you make out. 1/64" bits might just not need any squaring of the corners.
    Good luck.
    Bob Hill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12