Thread: Weird scale problem

NorthWest PA, Just a few miles South of Erie

Default Weird scale problem

After installing an RB DC and acquiring some maple I just had to do a test carve to see how things would turn out.
    I designed a pattern with several images I found in the program.
    The pattern was scaled to carve out at 10 inches wide and 1.25 inches high.
    When it finished the carving was only about 5.5 inches wide and .75 inches high.
    I'm baffled.
    That's nothing new. I'm baffled a lot.
    Does anyone know why this happened?

Don
    You can't have EVERYTHING - where would you PUT it?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Butler View Post
    After installing an RB DC and acquiring some maple I just had to do a test carve to see how things would turn out.
    I designed a pattern with several images I found in the program.
    The pattern was scaled to carve out at 10 inches wide and 1.25 inches high.
    When it finished the carving was only about 5.5 inches wide and .75 inches high.
    I'm baffled.
    That's nothing new. I'm baffled a lot.
    Does anyone know why this happened?

Don
    Don,

Did you actually scale the pattern(s) on the board or did you let the Carvewright machine scale them? It almost always isn't a good idea to allow the machine to scale. Just be sure the actual board is equal to or greater than the virtual board in the Designer using the 7 inch rule. Then the machine will not ask you to scale.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 07-12-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Steve

NorthWest PA, Just a few miles South of Erie

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Don,

Did you actually scale the pattern(s) on the board or did you let the Carvewright machine scale them? It almost always isn't a good idea to allow the machine to scale. Just be sure the actual board is equal to or greater than the virtual board in the Designer using the 7 inch rule. Then the machine will not ask you to scale.
    I did make sure the actual board was full size including the 7 inch rule, but the machine asked to scale it anyway. Can I refuse to let it scale?

Don
    You can't have EVERYTHING - where would you PUT it?

Normally the scale message pops up when your actual board is smaller than the virtual board and you have specified stay under rollers (Rule of 7")

I'd suggest go back to your design and make the board just a bit smaller so the machine will have no reason to reject it.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

If asked to scale, the machine measured your board smaller than your project. Please post your mpc and board dimensions.

Your virtual Designer board has to be smaller that the real board or it will try and scale. The size of the pattern itself does not matter. It is the size of the virtual board that the program considers to be the pattern. Maybe this fact may help you figure out what happened.

To put it simply, your board must be 7" longer than your project if you say stay under the rollers. If your project length is 10", the board has to be 17" or longer. Do not include the extra 7" in your project design. (If you do, say no to stay under the rollers.)
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com