Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raster to Vector plugin?

Default Raster to Vector plugin?

Anyone here using a raster to vector plugin on Adobe Photoshop Elements, and if so, how well is it working?
    Thanks
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Well Greg... Tell us how it is working.... Buddy....

Never heard of it...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Doing searches online have shown several. I have no experience to pass on but had hoped that someone here had some to share. Near as I can tell, the plug-ins convert a bitmap/raster type file to a vector dwg or dxf type file.

There are also programs to convert a photo of a face to the pattern needed for a scroll saw but I know nothing about them either.

If I learn more, I will certainly share.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

For example:

Algolab Photo Vector 1.98.79
    http://3d2f.com/programs/7-343-algol...download.shtml

"Description:
    Vectorizer and image cleaner: a proven handy tool for designers and CAD/CAM professionals to cleanup, reduce number of colors and vectorize images. Converts JPEG, BMP files to EMF, WMF, DXF. The vectorizer is compatible with Jasc Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Adobe Photo Shop, CAD/CAM systems etc. Especially useful for designs on textile, fabric, vinyl, jacquard, mats and other materials as well as to create vector graphics for WEB. For stunning photo effects visit the art gallery Photo Impressionism. AlgoLab Photo Vector is easy to use, fast and precise. By one click a color raster image can be converted into scalable vector artwork with any desirable accuracy depending on chosen settings. Bitmap and palette editing tools enable one to enhance processed images manually. Photo Vector produces special photo effects increasing and/or changing impression created by photos converting them into vector pictures that look like impressionist art. For stunning photo effects visit the art gallery Photo Impressionism. A free license is available for medium and large networks. Photo Vector does the cleaning job of scanned designs fast. Besides of using this software for raster into vector conversion it may be also useful for raster image processing when one needs a raster image to be composed of clean solid color shapes with smooth well defined boundaries and to have few or selected number of colors. The output formats include AutoCAD dxf, Adobe Illustrator, Windows metafile, Jasc. Photo Vector can help you to create mosaic from your photos or other images. Feel free to let your friends know about this option that will save them a lot of time for free in cleaning up, making fast corrections, editing and vectorizing designs with this proven handy designer's tool. Just download this software and use it! RegSoft ID: 35769; RegNow ID: 13237-1."
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

I don't know about the raster to vector but there isn't a program out their that will convert a pic to a scrollsaw pattern without the person making the pattern going thru and putting in the needed bridges to hold the cutting together and doing the manual clean up. I am saying this from experience doing pic to pattern for the scrollsaw. I have CorelDraw, Adobe Photoshop Elements, and Paint Shop Pro plus Inkscape to go behind them for super clean up on the scrollsaw patterns. None of which can make a pic into a cuttable pattern without quite a bit of some time spent by you fixing it to cut...Example below. Pic to pattern to finished cut...matted and framed. All done with the above software and my RBI Hawk scrollsaw and quite a bit of time.
    Lin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reneasm.jpg   Renea Final Draft.jpg   Renea Portraitlg.jpg  
    Last edited by Lin; 12-13-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Neede to add...

Lin,
    Can you estimate how much time it took from start to finished product?
    Thanks
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Greg, Remember these are scrollsaw patterns and I've been tinkering with making pic to pattern for the scrollsaw for a few years now. This one was one of my harder ones due to the pic itself but most take me about 3 to 4 hours to make the pattern...some longer...and another 2 to 3 hours to cut it on the scrollsaw. Then sand and do the finishing and use black felt behind the cutting when its framed. I generally have about 8 to 10 hours in one...again some take me longer to make the pattern and/or cut. When I do one like this with the matte being cut also on the scrollsaw even more time is put in...I have to make the pattern for the matte also and sandwich it between to junk boards to cut the lettering out. The matted ones jump the price up another 20 bucks if I am cutting lettering in it.

I just recently did one with four people in it...no matte...11 x 14. I stack cut them cause they wanted two of them for x-mas gifts. I charged them $150.00 for the two portraits framed out. They paid $100.00 for the first one and $50.00 for the second cutting. I charged $50.00 for making the pattern ($35.00 base (1 person) plus $5.00 per extra person...more people in the pattern...higher price) and $50.00 each for the cuttings framed out. The pattern is very personal and one of a kind..needless to say I won't ever cut this pattern again unless they order more of the same pattern.
    Chris has seen what I do with the pics and he feels the CW should be able to cut something like this with the new 1/16 cutting bit by simplifying the pattern and it being very clean..... I haven't tried it...I still think the wood being thin would break...
    Lin
    Last edited by Lin; 12-14-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Default online alternative

Here is a site you might be interested in trying out.

http://vectormagic.com/online/how_it_works

Converts an up loaded image to a vector image. I think the first 3 converts are free. You can either subscribe on a monthly/yearly basis or download a desktop version to keep. I've used the online version once for something and produces pretty stunning results with no fuss.

john

Does the Pattern Editor import the vector graphics as vector?

The Designer imports everything as raster. Is there a way to get around this?

Quote Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
    Here is a site you might be interested in trying out.

http://vectormagic.com/online/how_it_works

Converts an up loaded image to a vector image. I think the first 3 converts are free. You can either subscribe on a monthly/yearly basis or download a desktop version to keep. I've used the online version once for something and produces pretty stunning results with no fuss.

john
    Burgie, A new, proud owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast