Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Centerline and 90 degree bit

Default Centerline and 90 degree bit

I carved a sign on Saturday for a friend who was moving. It came out great! I used Mahogany and planed it down to 9/16. I put it in a sled that was 1/2 thick. Worked perfect. Tonight I have been trying to carve a Prototype Plaque on 3/4 inch Particle Board, no sled. The first side it did was the back which was just a simple "Made By". The 90 degree air carved. I let it continue and turned it to the front. Again, the 90 Degree Air Carved. The Carving bit carved the symbol I had, but no letters. I checked the head and it slid up and down fine. I powered off, blew out the machine with my compressor at 70psi, oiled the tracks, tried again and nothing. I stopped it on the back side, slid the 90 degree down a bit and again nothing. This is a new machine 3 weeks old, with about 30 hours on it. I did the 25 hour cleaning prior to last weeks Mahogany sign. I am confused and would appreciate any help.

I uploaded the MPC, but I am pretty sure it isn't the problem.

Thanks !!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I looked at the mpc and found no text on either side, just the circles and cross-parts.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Uploaded the wrong file. Same name, different directory

HolyCross.mpc

It would seem that there was a problem with the bit-length from the firmware's perspective.
    If the board is still intact and strong enough to recarve, try deleting everything except the text (saving in another name)
    and carve that one while watching the bit touch the bit-plate and surface.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

I watched the V-bit touch the plate each time. The third time I tried it, I paused the machine and lengthened the bit just a little (maybe 1/8 of an inch, couldn't really tell). I have the Carvetight chuck and the 90 degree uses the adapter with a small plastic sleeve. I guess I will call support in the morning. What I am wondering is if it worked on Saturday because I had a sled. Oh well, another learning opportunity.

Be sure to post what you find out from LHR cause I've had the same issue with my new CW. I also comoensate by pausing the machine & pulling out the bit by hand just a tad. That works, but I'm sure there is something going on because we should not have to pull out the bit.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

When do you lengthen the bit? After the bit plate touch or after the board touch?

chebytrk, is this with all the bits or the Centerline bits only? I noticed the first couple of passes on the carving bits sometimes just hit air, but after just a couple of passes, the carving bit will do its job. I just noticed I didn't have the "Conform" box checked for my text, so I am going to try that on a test cut this morning. I will post the results of my test cut and what I find out from LHR.

bergerud, I lengthened it after plate, board and even the first couple of missed carve passes.

Just tried a test cut with the "Conform" box checked. No difference the 90 degree just cut air (which it does really well).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast