Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Carve-Tight chuck released...

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    Doug, It is your attitude. As far as having LHR find a 3rd party that would be stacking the cards, wouldn't it? As to Consumer Reports,
    1. they wouldn't
    2. if they did, I couldn't believe them as their reports have steered me wrong almost every time I've heeded them in the past 40 years.
    Pkunk... I think you are really misreading my attitude then. Which is often a problem with written words when you cant see body languange and other clues of intent when speaking face to face. Again.. I AM NOT SAYING anything negative about LHR or the new Chuck. Apparently you mind is made up on my intent and it seems unlikely to change... so I wont push this further. But.. I will say it one last time... nothing I wrote was meant to be negative to LHR, MT, the new chuck system.

Doug Fletcher

I didn't see an attitude with Dougs comments. I did see one in yours however. Impartial data is a good thing. Competition is a good thing. I remember a time in the not so distant past that folks that were looking for an alternative were treated as aliens or worse. The overall process was painful to some folks both emotionally and financially. I, for one, am very glad the the engineers/owners of LHR have taken initiative and developed a new chuck that is superior than it's predecessor. Great Job!

Thanks,
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Nope! Never. You know, I've had my QC operational for many years. I've never had a carbide bit work loose from an adapter and I've been through numerous bits due to dulling. I have however always used used Locktite on the shaft when installing them.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Never?

Some interesting information about using sleeves and solid carbide in the "Tips and tricks" saying that carbide shanks and steel sleeves will tend to slip or work loose but the steel to steel shank ones not as much.

LG
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Never?

Some interesting information about using sleeves and solid carbide in the "Tips and tricks" saying that carbide shanks and steel sleeves will tend to slip or work loose but the steel to steel shank ones not as much.

LG
    I think what they are pointing out is the fact that the "Cutting & Carving" bits do not have the enlarged head that most of the other bits have. They have a smooth shank. This means that "side pressure" is the only thing keeping the bit from moving/slipping back into the chuck as the pressure and heat of the carve is generated.

I see a few others that may encounter the same problem (however, they do not generally get the volume of usage the afore mentioned bits receive).
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I think what they are pointing out is the fact that the "Cutting & Carving" bits do not have the enlarged head that most of the other bits have. They have a smooth shank. This means that "side pressure" is the only thing keeping the bit from moving/slipping back into the chuck as the pressure and heat of the carve is generated.

I see a few others that may encounter the same problem (however, they do not generally get the volume of usage the afore mentioned bits receive).
    AskBud
    This being the case, would loctite or some other adhesive help reduce/eliminate the possibility of the bit from coming lose? My QC exploded a few weeks ago (with only 80 hours on the machine) and since I don't use the machine very often, I decided to wait until this announcement before making a decision on a replacement. Really don't want to spend the extra cash on getting the bit sleeves added to my bits - I just got both about a month ago!
    --
    John

Quote Originally Posted by klingler View Post
    This being the case, would LockTite or some other adhesive help reduce/eliminate the possibility of the bit from coming lose? My QC exploded a few weeks ago (with only 80 hours on the machine) and since I don't use the machine very often, I decided to wait until this announcement before making a decision on a replacement. Really don't want to spend the extra cash on getting the bit sleeves added to my bits - I just got both about a month ago!
    I think the problem will arise on "Long/extended" usage times on the Cutting & Carving bits in particular. LockTite may hold on short carves, but most of us have seen the screws loosen on the adapter(s) on "High heat" carves.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Hello,

Yep. I wish a disinterested third-party would do a comparison between the chucks too - especially since the engineers (and I) already know how that would come out! Like Joe said, it's already been proven that the CarveTight is superior compared to all current existing alternatives, but that was done in-house.

I received a lot of feedback from the engineers when gathering information for the article. They were very specific about why and how the CarveTight system is superior to other chucks (including the QC of course). I'm estimating I pestered them a total of 3 hours (or more) over the last few weeks, pumping them for information and asking a bunch of questions -including comparison results to the other chucks, naturally.

When finally putting it all together and editing for the article, I actually named specific chucks pointing out certain design issues and long-term concerns in the early drafts (went through 16 drafts, by the way as I kept distilling it down!). At some point we became concerned that it might better not to say anything in the article that might be misconstrued or give the impression in any way as knocking another product - and of course it wasn't - but, better safe than sorry.

So, I attempted to describe the unique advantages of the CarveTight compared to other chucks in the most neutral fashion I could muster. The most significant difference (and the 'secret' to the CarveTight's better performance and less stress on all related components of the machine) is the one-piece integrated spindle/chuck configuration - nobody else has that.

A couple folks mentioned it looks like some of the other chucks. Well, as the article points out, the CarveTight is a completely unique design. Hopefully I included enough basic and pertinent information why the CarveTight is indeed the superior product without an abrupt blow-by-blow comparison. It's one of those 'darned if you do - darned if you don't' situations, I guess!

For what it's worth, I am totally and personally convinced that the only replacement chuck that I can feel completely confident with in any of my machines is the CarveTight. Remember, I'm just like any other user. I want the best for my machine and I want the absolute smallest chance of problems cropping up down the road. I believe the CarveTight is the ticket, but honestly have no problem if anyone disagrees with that. I'm happy!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I think the problem will arise on "Long/extended" usage times on the Cutting & Carving bits in particular. LockTite may hold on short carves, but most of us have seen the screws loosen on the adapter(s) on "High heat" carves.
    AskBud
    So you're saying I don't have a choice here... I need to get the sleeves on the bits?
    --
    John

Quote Originally Posted by klingler View Post
    So you're saying I don't have a choice here... I need to get the sleeves on the bits?
    Hi John,

I wondered about adhesives too and spoke to one of the techs regarding any reliable way of using a split collet on carbide bits. He responded with a resounding 'no' - told me a couple horror stories of bit slips on various chucks. In short, the official stance on the matter at present is that 100% carbide bits with hard-pressed collars is the only reliable way to completely prevent bit slippage in any chuck.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi John,

I wondered about adhesives too and spoke to one of the techs regarding any reliable way of using a split collet on carbide bits. He responded with a resounding 'no' - told me a couple horror stories of bit slips on various chucks. In short, the official stance on the matter at present is that 100% carbide bits with hard-pressed collars is the only reliable way to completely prevent bit slippage in any chuck.
    Thanks MT. I appreciate your comment all around.
    --
    John

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast