Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Big problem here

I agree with Dan and Floyd. Since you had the cover off, the wires to the right cover switch are probably what is keeping the bit plate from flipping out. There isn't ANY clearance room and if not tucked or secured in the right place it will cause the problem. With that said, I had the same problem and tried everything including removing the wires entirely and the problem persisted. With a closer inspection I found a small wood chip below the Y belt tension spring. When I removed it everything worked normally.
    Steve

Had a bad cold for several days and am finally able to get back to this. Unfortunately, it is still doing it. To recap, the machine sets up the project fine and begins the carve. At some point, the spindle winds down and just stops spinning. I have replaced the cut motor and the x termination board. I have inspected all connections multiple times and can find nothing wrong.

The only good news is that I captured on video exactly what it does. The first one shows it carving a very shallow carve and it just spins down and stops. The second video show what happens if I lift the lid and try to restart. Every once in a while, it will spin up and continue when I lift the lid, close it, and push the button to continue.

What's next? Send in the control board to be checked?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...XlFVENyRnNsZkk
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...l9ER0xMMDFkaW8

Have you tried the Seatbelt ? A strip of heavy tape installed on the clear cover to the black cover with the clear cover 1/4 way up. So when the cover is down it pulls the clear cover toward the switch and holds it tite. I did my LEFT Switch. Do the right Switch...

If that does not work...

I would remove the top cover and using a wire crimping tool, re crimp where the wire is shoved into the barrel connectors... Looking for a loose crimp.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

As a test, remove the dust collection attachment or verify that the clear cover is not making any contact with the dc attachment. The cover might be making intermittent contact with the attachment.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You recommended the seat belt before, but I don't think I did it right and I hate to seem dense, but I'm not quite getting it. Understand to do the right switch as it runs the cut motor but not quite sure how to place the tape. I know the bullet connections are tight, but I will double check that the wire crimps to the connectors are good.

I will check, but it hasn't been a problem all these years. But, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    As a test, remove the dust collection attachment or verify that the clear cover is not making any contact with the dc attachment. The cover might be making intermittent contact with the attachment.

Here's the latest. I got feedback from you helpful folks about the cover maybe not closing all the way because of the dust collector. It's been that way for years, but I looked closely at it and took off about another 1/4" off the bottom of the cover. It does close completely now and probably wasn't quite doing that before. (It does touch a little bit, yet. Should I take more off to make sure it doesn't touch at all?) I also put tape on the right side to add a "belt" to tighten up the fit when the cover was closed. I have been able to complete several small jobs and not once have had the project quit mid-job like it was doing.

It does usually give me a "Check cut motor" message just before beginning the project. Is that normal? I also have had at least one time had to make a fix because the bit was so high for part of the carve that it wasn't even touching the board.

That being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I seem to be having better luck.

Good find! If it is still making contact I would trim it a little more to remove any possibility of it giving you any more problems.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Glad you are up and running, but, it seems strange to me that the cover switch could have been the problem. Easy to check though. Wiggle the cover around while the cut motor test is running.

We had the same problem with a machine, it would run fine for several days and then would give me problems. Cut a little more off of the lid and good to go, no stopping anymore. As far as the check cut motor, have you changed or checked your cut motor brushes, could be an early warning.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast