Thread: Where is everyone?

Default Where is everyone?

Hey, wandering where everyone is? Haven't had any new posts in over 3 days. Forum is a ghost town! Starting to get a little worried.

Yes it has been kind of slow lately. There has been quite a bit of activity on Facebook though.

maybe everyone is getting ready for the conference. Lots happening schools are out, family vacations, graduations etc.....
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Facebook is definitely having a detrimental affect on user forums. It's unfortunate, because years of solid and accurate information is found primarily on manufacturer forums, not so much on FaceBook. This is being missed by users - especially newbies.

I enjoy FaceBook interactions (usually), but forums are still "king" for archiving, searching and getting feedback from the most experienced users. It's amazing some of the answers people get to their CNC and software questions on various FaceBook CNC pages! Total newbies trying to advise other total newbies are often crazy wrong. Sometimes a Comment starts with something like, "I've never done this or that, or used that product, but here's my advice anyway." Best to get answers on a dedicated manufacturer Forum from actual experienced users.

Misinformation is not too bad on the Carvaholic FaceBook page, but most answers to questions have already been posted right here. Mostly rehashing the same questions/answers all over again on Facebook.

It's a personal choice where one chooses to source their info from though.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I agree with Michael, FACEBOOK, yeah we use it, at least most of us, and I think most are to lazy to navigate over to our forum. FB being on everyones phones or tablets makes it easy.... but sometimes easy isn't the answer. I've seen some of the posts Michael was talking about and I just SMH... shake my head in case you're like me and didn't know what that stood for. There are enough of the old timers with 95% of the answers, if they would just not answer the question and steer them back to our forum then maybe traffic would pick back up here. I'm to the point of telling FB to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Just getting to be too much negitivity over there. I read the posts but very seldom reply because if they would only search our forum they would find the answers. Just my 2¢ worth.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I must admit, i visit here less because of the Facebook page also. When I want real indepth info, it is here and not there though

Dave

Facebook and all the other social media options out there I stay away from. Everyone keeps telling me how nice it is, but I feel people already know more about me than I care for them to know. I know it is a convenience thing or something like that. but if I want someone to know something, I call them. Today's world is getting very impersonal, and no one talks to anyone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Facebook is definitely having a detrimental affect on user forums. It's unfortunate, because years of solid and accurate information is found primarily on manufacturer forums, not so much on FaceBook. This is being missed by users - especially newbies.

I enjoy FaceBook interactions (usually), but forums are still "king" for archiving, searching and getting feedback from the most experienced users. It's amazing some of the answers people get to their CNC and software questions on various FaceBook CNC pages! Total newbies trying to advise other total newbies are often crazy wrong. Sometimes a Comment starts with something like, "I've never done this or that, or used that product, but here's my advice anyway." Best to get answers on a dedicated manufacturer Forum from actual experienced users.

Misinformation is not too bad on the Carvaholic FaceBook page, but most answers to questions have already been posted right here. Mostly rehashing the same questions/answers all over again on Facebook.

It's a personal choice where one chooses to source their info from though.
    I agree that there is more accurate and content information on the manufacturer forum as they are mostly run and maintained by the content experts of either the company or experienced users. Where as the majority of the FB CNC groups are not owned or started by the/a company but rather by an individual who might own a certain type of machine or a software package. I think some do it because they enjoy the machine/software and want to share experience with others. Others I believe do it for some sort of gain to be had at the experience of others. I see this a lot in the "free" plans/projects groups. They say free but end up asking for some sort of payment in order to get full advantage of down loads or get directed to their web site to purchase said plans.

Yes I have also seen the same types of misinformation answers on some of the post request. It is like they did not ever read what the issue was before answering. Even more strange is you will see continued answers well after the issue has been resolved. Again not so much on the Carvaholic page.

The "repetitive asking questions" about already discussed topics is very common in all types of groups be it users forums or FB groups. Just try doing a search on a specific topic to see how many threads come up here or in the FB groups. I know here you can often get several pages about the same topic.

As for the drop of posts here vs FB, I have seen a slow down of posts on the FB group in the last few weeks as well. I think it is just the season/activity change of the users.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I look at Facebook but if I want answers or have questions it will always be the forum I turn to. I check the forum almost every night but don't comment too often. And yes, the Conference has kept me busy of late.