Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think its fixed. Now need to get an idea how to price signs, etc.

Default Think its fixed. Now need to get an idea how to price signs, etc.

I think I have the machine fixed, cross my fingers. But it did work the first time after replacing the sensor lens. So how does others price out signs if they sell them? Cost of materials, 10% for utilities and usage, plus time? By the minute?

I use cost of materials plus 25%

You know, I've been doing wood working for a living for years and have never found a reliable formula for pricing the work I do. Generally, I price things at what I think market/retail value would be. I stay consistent by keeping up with what I have priced things at in the past. One example is turned wood pens. A slim line pen costs me around $3 to make since I buy around 1000 kits at a time. If I sold it at materials plus 25%, it would be sold at less than $5. If I did materials plus labor, it would be sold at $10.50 if I priced my labor at $15 per hour. But, in my region, the market value for a typical slimline pen is about $25. I sell mine at $20-$30 depending on the wood, custom clips, etc.

Another example is a quilt rack out of ash. Materials are about $25 to make it. I sell it for $129 stained and finished. You have to remember that you are putting a value on not just your time and materials, but on your skill and experience. While anyone can buy $25 worth of wood and make a quilt rack, they will not get the same quality and results as when a professional wood crafter does the same. We have years of experience in gluing, shaping, smoothing, carving, routing, and even finishing wood. Most people don't know to seal porous woods with shellac before starting a lacquer finish. Most don't know to use a conditioner or thin sealer on soft woods before staining. It's the little things we know and the skills we have developed over the years that makes our work higher quality that what a DIY would crank out at home to appease his wife.

While I don't do woodworking for a living (yet), I agree with jmoriearty. I build a fair amount of furniture as well as lathe accessories such as pens and price my work very similiarly to jm. It really does boil down to what the market can bear and where you are selling your finished goods. I have more luck with word of mouth and my web site, but do plan to check out local craft shows as time allows.
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I have been watching a couple of guys on Youtube named Dave & Rick at oldave100, They make signs using a hand router, they seem to do a pretty good job too. I have picked up a lot of hints from them including pricing and finishing techniques. As a guide they price signs by the square foot, $20-$40 per , depending mostly on how much finishing they do to the sign. Their method is not written in stone but can be used as a guide. Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0L0z9BZ0dw

Just in case, figuring square feet is Length of the board in inches times the Width of the board in inches to get the total square inches, then divide by 144 which is the number of square inches in a square foot. Example 6 inch by 2 foot board- 6" x 24" = 144" then divide by 144" to get one square foot.

Now there is one area that I do charge by the square inch on, that is on cutting boards. I finally found a price range they sell well at around here and I divided it out to get a square inch price. 36 cents per square inch. It doesn't seem like much until you see how fast I can make 30 or 40 cutting boards....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoriearty View Post
    Now there is one area that I do charge by the square inch on, that is on cutting boards. I finally found a price range they sell well at around here and I divided it out to get a square inch price. 36 cents per square inch. It doesn't seem like much until you see how fast I can make 30 or 40 cutting boards....lol.
    Wow!! By my figuring that is over $51 a square foot. (144 sq. in. by .36) and you say that is for "cutting boards". Seems I am making the wrong projects!

Quote Originally Posted by radman5506 View Post
    I have been watching a couple of guys on Youtube named Dave & Rick at oldave100, They make signs using a hand router, they seem to do a pretty good job too. I have picked up a lot of hints from them including pricing and finishing techniques. As a guide they price signs by the square foot, $20-$40 per , depending mostly on how much finishing they do to the sign. Their method is not written in stone but can be used as a guide. Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0L0z9BZ0dw
    Thanks, there is a lot of really good info in those youtube videos. I looked for those Elmers paint pens they recommend but couldn't find them. What kind of paint pens do folks in this forum use and recommend?

dave

definitely elmer's and they sell them at walmart!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast