Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MOI 3d

Very impressive John,

You are gaining mastery with every new project.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

This is the reference page I used to learn Moi3d and still use it from time to time.
    http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_comman...e7.htm#project

Folks are replying to John's message from Dec 2011. The stuff is still good though!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Maybe a good way to bump a thread so people like me who need to be building their own models will look at them.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Michael, I noticed that. My intent was to let those that own MoI3d know the new version is available and the cost. If anyone is interested in MoI3d, then look at post #52 (zan) and follow the link to see what MoI3d can do.

And by all means John's work is outstanding.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie

I also am a reseller and set it up as a bit of a discount if anyone is interested in MOI. I would suggest playing with the trial for 30 days. The price is worth the drawing tools alone IMO.

http://www.carvepattern.com/en/34-moi3d.html
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

John and Eddie,

I have Silo. Do either one of you have an opinion how it compares to MOI? (i.e., which do you think is "better")
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hi Michael,

Silo is a quad modeler and Moi is nurbs. It is like comparing apples to an orange. Nurbs is for more precise things such as a gear or say a laundry degergent bottle. Moi is exactly like Rhino without the bloat. The guy who developed Moi also helped develop Rhino way back. Quads -Silo- is more suited for organic objects like faces and heads flowers plants scrolls filagree's etc.

They are two very different syles of modeling. With nurbs you are drawing the surfaces out of curves and with quads you making surfaces by moving faces points and edges. As fas using for CNC work both have their place and are very powerful.

Even though I have Aspire I do all of my drawing in Moi then export into Aspire. Download the trial and play with the drawing tools and you will see what I mean.

I use Moi quite a bit for stuff. I use a few different programs - Moi, Modo, Zbrush, Aspire - I found not one program will do it all or do it all great. Each has their strong suit and are easy to combine and work between.

If I had it to do over again when I got into modeling I would have started with Quads and mastered them.There is NOTHING you cant do in quads...just takes a lot of practice and a learing curve. But once you have a grasp on them they are su much easier for modeling stuff. For example if you need to make a change there is no re-drawing a profile etc...just grab the point edge or face and tweak. I find them way faster to get organic stuff done. Like filagrees decorative scrolls etc - they are done very fast in quads. Import picture as background image - trace main shapes - extrude and then tweak shape.

If you getting into silo and need some help let me know - frustrating part is nothing out there about modeling 2.5d in quads for cnc. But it is the same as full 3d just a bit harder because you have a more confined space in the Z.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Thank you for the excellent detailed explanation, John. Glad I got Silo...seems it is indeed more suited for the organic modeling. I have played with it (only for about an hour after I bought it several months ago), and it seemed pretty user friendly. I just haven't had the need to use it for creating relief models (ArtCAM, Aspire and the CW modeling suite have been sufficient, thus far).

However, I do feel the need to start paying more attention to full 3D modeling. You know I already have ZBrush, but I don't use that much either anymore (again, been spending all my time doing 2.5D reliefs).

I have been enjoying the NextEngine scanner, and am doing a lot more in the 3D realm with that too - probably will get a 3D printer at some point. Waiting to find a really good one for a 'reasonable' price (under $4K). The mainstream 'consumer' versions I've seen don't yield anywhere near the quality I desire.

In any case, there is a strong movement towards more full 3D not only for CNC but the 3D printing, so I want to catch up and get on the bleeding edge of things.

I probably need to get with you sometime on the Blender plugin thing for converting full-3D to relief. Been so long since I goofed with that, I forgot how to use it.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Hey Michael,

If you going to do full 3d what types of things are looking to make? Moi is very well suited for 3d printing. Moi and Nurbs in general are mechanical. But, that being said it is semi organic like car bodys and such. It's along the lines of Inventor Revit and Rhino.

Keep your eye out for the next release and last of V4 w Zbrush. They going to have quad modeling built in....looks like I will never have to leave zbrush...will see.

Silo is a great modelor for the basics. Once you get into to it you probably want to look at Modo Max Maya or Lightwave for more bells and whistles in the modeling dept. But Silo is great place to start. As far as the big boys of 3d modelling my suggestion if you get into pick one and stay with it. They all pretty much will do the same stuff but UI on each is very different and a pain to learn.

Blender no problem..shoot me a pm and can set up a time and walk you thru it....if you have it loaded I can send you a file with the nodes all set up and all you have to do is swap out the model. I tried out the new version of Aspire with the similar bas relief render. It works great on some things and is very fast compared to blender but on a lot of things it lacks the detail you can get out of blender by tweaking the settings of the nodes etc. Figure the programmers w Aspire kept it simple and user friendly which makes sense.
    Last edited by jpaluck; 10-01-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast