Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clear boartd sensor

Quote Originally Posted by nu2carvin View Post
    Most likely it is either dirty, or bad. An infrared sensor should last the life of your machine. If you have thoroughly cleaned the sensor, try using a mirror. If you still get a low reading then most likely it is bad. However, that is not a call for me to make. That will be up to the techs at LHR. I am in no way affiliated with LHR.

I would be willing to bet that the receiver of the pair is giving LHR the most trouble. The transmitter is basically just an LED and those things last forever. Just consider what is in most TV remotes. Those are mostly infrared.
    At work we replace quite a few more receivers than transmitters. It's just the nature of the beast.
    I put a mirror under the sensor and got a reading of 108. Seems like the sensor is working but not like it should. I'll try a thorough cleaning. Is it easy to take out? I see two screws on the bottom. Looks like it will come out if I remove them. Anything I need to look out for?

I have not had to remove mine yet so I am unsure. If you do a search of the forum you will find instructions on how to do it properly.
    Gimme Steam.

I know I am taking this off topic, but I could not resist...

I would be willing to bet that the receiver of the pair is giving LHR the most trouble. The transmitter is basically just an LED and those things last forever.
    <This is mostly about industrial sensors, but applies to any optical sensor>
    While LED's do last 100,000 hours or more their output intensity falls over this time period to a point where they are no longer usable. Although the photo-diode/photo-transistor in the receivers can/will degrade over time (more likely chemical or mechanical damage to the housing though), when you install a new receiver only it works as there is no damage to the housing, even though the LED is weak. The least little bit of housing damage and the weak LED is no longer sufficient to drive the receiver. You wind up having to replace receivers a lot as the transmitters are weak. It's been my experience that they are best replaced in pairs. YMMV...

These parts can also be temperature dependent. That's part of the reason why LHR recommends a minimum environmental temperature for the machine. Dollars to donuts we see more board sensor related problems this winter
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

You are right Jeff. I stand corrected.
    Gimme Steam.

That worked! It was not difficult to remove and clean. I did a search and found the instructions. It was pretty caked with dust. I gave it a good cleaning and it is working like new. Thanks to all who responded.

David

Default Caution

Please use caution cleaning the sensor and not pull on the wires going up as I had pulled my wires and they slid down along a plastic track at the top. Eventually pinching through the insulation shorting out the sensor.

AL

Default Update

Dulling the finish of the two plates did help with edge detection. However, now when the CW is measuring a board it will run it out the back of the machine and gives the clear board sensor again. When I got the machine last Friday I saw then that the sensor did not have a clear window covering it. I thought it was an updated version. Then when I found the "directing cover for the board sensor" on the floor I wasn't so sure. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4654 The sensor still gives great reading but it's still not working quite right. I called LHR and explained everything to them. They are sending a new board sensor. My learning curve has been pretty steep. In four days I have managed to break both the cutting and carving bits that came with the CW and now I need a new sensor. Discouraged? Maybe a little.. Giving up? NO WAY. I like the potential of what the CarveWright can do. I want to learn and use it as much as possible. I have always hoped someone would invent a CNC like this. I have tons of ideas of what to make but have ZERO woodcarving skills. This will allow me to accomplish the things I want to do.
    Gimme Steam.

Tt, If Your Board Is Running Out Of Machine, It May Be The The Roller Compress When It Should Be Released? Check On Keypad-0,7

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNB View Post
    Tt, If Your Board Is Running Out Of Machine, It May Be The The Roller Compress When It Should Be Released? Check On Keypad-0,7
    Thanks John. I went though the whole sensors check list before I called LHR. It seems to be working correct. They told me that, If after I install the new sensor and still have problems to give them a call back.
    Gimme Steam.

Default Running out of the machine...

Last time I had material run out of the machine it was engraving plastic....

What I learned in the last 7 months since that happened is to use a Carrier board. Just cut a piece of plywood 1/4 or 3/8 to the same width of your wood or plastic and masking tape the two together. No sides or side boards so it is not a sled but a carrier board.

I use it to cut clocks and have scrap on each end and only waste about 1/4 inch of stock during final trimming.

Breaking the bits makes me wonder if you are using too thin a material or too hard a material. What are you using?

Like Jeff said... rollers.... If the material is too thin then the rollers don't change states...

AL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast