Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Make Your Own ER11 Spindle

That is a 1/2 shank bit.. 5/8 90V.... It's not a hex nut on there, even though I didn't order the M, it had an M type nut.... I bought it based on the image and the size of the spindle shank..... UR system looks pretty good there !! Lock button, vac cap... NICE !!!
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Bumping into an old thread again...

Could the lathe be skipped altogether?
    If you start with the C10 ER11 piece (chuck diameter 10mm), cut to proper length and then use the following bearings:
    1. top = size 6000
    2. bottom = size 6002/10 instead of 6002. The 6002/10 is also known as LR200. Dimensions are 10x32x9.

That could simplify the construction process a little...
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

I do not see any reason why that would not work. You still have the problem of making the square flex hole and the clip ring slot.

Are those Er collets blanks that can be machined to whatever is necessary? If so, that's pretty nifty. I made my own spindle that accepts standard porter cable router collets. Love it. Perfectly balanced and I have plenty of wrenches, lol

Yes, you can buy these ER extensions with different shank sizes which you can turned. They are usually ,however, hollow and have to be plugged to make the square flex hole in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by tackytim View Post
    Are those Er collets blanks that can be machined to whatever is necessary? If so, that's pretty nifty. I made my own spindle that accepts standard porter cable router collets. Love it. Perfectly balanced and I have plenty of wrenches, lol
    Tim.... Thank You for Sharing This little DETAIL..... I am pretty excited to hear about this.

​BREAKING NEWS

This NEW Spindle will be the same as the CT as it is one single shaft but had a standard PORTER CABLE ROUTER CHUCK in EITHER 1/2 OR 1/4...

INSTALL WHAT YOU NEED. Either a 1/2 inch or a 1/4 inch...

This SINGLE SHAFT can be INSERTED into a OLD QC Truck making it similar to the CT BUT you can put a Porter Cable 1/2 or 1/4 inch chuck on it. And will use 2 wrenches to tighten. I look forward to seeing them in PRODUCTION....

Another INNOVATIVE Project from TIM.

Thanks TIM. !!!!!
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I do not see any reason why that would not work. You still have the problem of making the square flex hole and the clip ring slot.
    Yes, sorry... forgot that one. Realized my mistake when I started disassembling the Z-truck. And - lucky me - I managed to do the job without any fancy tools, even without any excess force. Yes, I used a hammer to do some "tapping", but it was while holding the truck in the other hand as only support, which means that my hand sort of "cushioned away" most of the impact.

Btw, how sure are you that those ER-rods are hollow? I studied the images on Ebay and failed to see it. What would you plug them with? Some kind of epoxy steel?
    Current machines:
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

I am pretty sure they are all hollow. I brazed plugs in the ends. I did not care about the effect of heat because I later turned the shanks down.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I am pretty sure they are all hollow. I brazed plugs in the ends. I did not care about the effect of heat because I later turned the shanks down.
    OK, "brazed" implies quite a lot of heat, which will require machining. How did you make the square opening?
    Current machines:

Quote Originally Posted by mister_zed View Post
    How did you make the square opening?
    By hand with a small square file.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast