Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Default Just Getting Started

Good Morning!
    My name is Wendy. I bought my husband a machine in 2013 because he dreamed of all kinds of things he could make with it. He made a couple of signs and then stopped using it. I would ask him why he stopped using it. He said he was having problems with the software. ( He's old school- doesn't work with computers very much). I have an embroidery business that I've done on the side for the past 20 years. So I started playing with the CarveWright program. I found that it was similar to my Brother software! I created a few projects over the past 2 weeks. I would love to learn how to upload the pictures to get everyone's feed back on them.
    I did break my 1/8" cutting bit yesterday, cutting out a 2" circle on pine. I don't know how I did it! And our machine didn't even "know" that it was no longer cutting- the drill head was still following the pattern until I aborted it. Anyone else experience bits breaking?
    Thank you for allowing me into the group!
    I look forward to learning from all of you

2. Default Disabled Vet Starting Hobby Business

I've only created one sign so far, as I am looking to get a bit more familiar with the system. I look forward to learning from others in this forum of the different uses and possibilities to make.

I bought machine a couple of years ago, but have not had much luck getting things to turn out - i step away from the machine a few times and by the time i get back to it- i am learning all overagain, so i still consider myself a newbee.
    I am hoping i can find more time to look over the past posts and learn from all the experts out there that are will in to share. I hope to be able to attend the conference someday, but the timing of it is usually not a good time for me and my summer employment.
    the main thing i have used the system for so far is making signs for the park that i work at and a few projects that i donate to fundraisers.

4. Post Papa Bill

I've had my machine for awhile now but just started using it. I'm from North Carolina. Would like to hear from others from the Carthage - Sanford area. Need help with some problems. Thanks! <email removed, use PM>

Default buxtor's Intro

Hello World!
    Just bought my CW off of Craigslist, only have the basics and am excited to get into things! I am a retired Navy Chief living near Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I love making. 3D Printing, engraving, finishing and painting/airbrushing... light woodworking. I am evolved with our local theater group and have made several models for production gifts as well as props for use onstage. Love collaborating on projects and hobby chit-chat. In the CNC world, I'm kinda low budget, starting off with a Chinese 3018 and Estlcam and was used to doing all the parts of the project for free and was disappointed to find out it takes the purchase of addons in the hundreds of dollars. Wishing there were opensource applications which would produce the same results. I guess its the Pattern Sharing area for me at least until I can afford the addons.

bux

bux,

Welcome.

There are 1000's of free patterns available. The biggest issue is finding what you need when you need them. Don't hesitate to ask for pattern assistance when you need it. The worst that can happen is folks may not have what you are looking for.

Oscar

Welcome, I got all my machines off CL and only have basic yet and still do some great work with them. Like Oscar stated, if you need something just ask, the folks where are very helpful. Enjoy your newest toy.

Hello! I'm Don and I purchased my Carvewright on 3/8/19 (3 days ago) through Rockler (there is a sale going on, got the CW and the Dust Collection attachment for $1958 including taxes....although they still owe me the dust collection attachment since they didn't have any in stock). I've run a few test boards through the machine, still have a lot of learning to do but overall I'm really happy with the ease of use of the machine.

About me - I'm a 50 year old IT guy that's always wanted to get into woodworking but didn't do so until 2017. That year I just built a work bench and some table saws using a WEN Miter saw I got from Amazon. Soooo much has changed since then in my woodshop (which is actually my detached garage so I need tools that can be moved out of the way for when I have my car in there). In 2018, I went all out with my income taxes, my bonus from work and more throughout the year. I got a Dewalt contractor table saw and engineered a dual rolling table for it and the Miter saw (the miter saw can swing up from underneath the table and lock into place, and when it's back under I can use the entire top surface as work space). I also got a thickness planer, a jointer, a router and benchtop routing table, a benchtop lathe, a band saw and many other sanding and hand tools.

Last year I made and sold about two dozen cutting boards, mostly around 11"x17", some a little bigger, some a little smaller. I also sold about 3 dozen pens that I made on the lathe and did a little other work here and there. I built a couple more stands, a lumber box, and several other things to help with organization around the shop. Everything I sold went to friends or their friends through word of mouth (including facebook posts, etc.). Unless I'm using exotic woods, I'm using local wood that I cut down from live edge planks I purchase from two local suppliers of non-harvested walnut, cherry, maple, oak and osage orange.

This year I decided I had all the "standard" tools I needed...but with income tax and the bonus again I wanted to step things up with higher quality more specialized type equipment. I got a Jet 16/32 sander so I can do larger boards and jobs. I picked up the Carvewright as I stated before, and the last thing I have is on order - an Incra LS25 Super System routing fence and table with a 3.5hp routing motor from Porter Cable. It could be up to 2 months before that is delivered though.

I have a lot of different directions I could go with what I have now, but right now it's all about learning what I can do and how to do it better. I'd like to do signs and plaques with the CW, but in the long run I'd want to use it for personalizing and/or adding custom flair to different things I make - the cutting boards that I've made before but with the Incra LS25 system I really want to do boxes and trays of various sizes and uses.

So far I'm really happy with the community here - I've received very fast responses and advice from the two threads I've created, and I'm really looking forward to being a part of the community.

Thanks!

-Don
    -Pittsburgh, PA

PghDrake,

Welcome to the CW forum and thanks for giving us a great background on your wood shop and wood working experiences. From the sounds of things you need a new garage!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hi Don!

Welcome to the family! You’re going to have a lot of fun with your new tool. I’ve been enjoying my two CarveWright CNC machines for 12 years now. I can’t imagine “life-before-CarveWright”! It’s a blast!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast