Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other options for bits?

Default Other options for bits?

I am currently using the carved tight set up on my machine, I was wondering if there was a way to use standard router bits in the carvewright machine without having to buy the carvewright decorative bit set. I have looked through the community but was unable to find a clear answer… Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

2. Default

Carvewright sells an adapter sleeve which allows you to use 1/4 inch bits in the carve tight. Any standard 1/2 inch bit will fit without an adapter. Keep in mind you can not change the types of bits listed in the software but it is easy to match the bit types with non carvewright bits. In fact half the bits in carvewrights sets use the adapter. I use a white side 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch adapter that is for sale on amazon. It is a little longer than carvewrights adapter but it works. The only problem with carvewrights adapter is the high shipping cost for a very small part.

is this what you use?

http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Rout.../dp/B0012JG9QM

Quote Originally Posted by normrichards View Post
    Carvewright sells an adapter sleeve which allows you to use 1/4 inch bits in the carve tight. Any standard 1/2 inch bit will fit without an adapter. Keep in mind you can not change the types of bits listed in the software but it is easy to match the bit types with non carvewright bits. In fact half the bits in carvewrights sets use the adapter. I use a white side 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch adapter that is for sale on amazon. It is a little longer than carvewrights adapter but it works. The only problem with carvewrights adapter is the high shipping cost for a very small part.

4. Default

Yes, I have cut them shorter in the past but lately I just use them at the length they come.

I haven't tried them yet, but I've been looking at these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SXCKHT6?psc=1

That is a very sharp bit and the shank is 6mm. How are you going to hold it? Those split adapters are poor for carbide even when they fit.

I have used 6mm shanks but I use an ER11M adapter with a 6mm collet.

So do you think the adapter above is a poor choice? or just for the 6mm bits?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    That is a very sharp bit and the shank is 6mm. How are you going to hold it? Those split adapters are poor for carbide even when they fit.

I have used 6mm shanks but I use an ER11M adapter with a 6mm collet.

I do not use spit adapters so I cannot say. LHR warns against holding carbide bits in spit adapters. The bits can "walk" out. I think you would always have to get the slot in the right place and then you would still have to over tighten the CT. Ok for steel shank bits I guess.

I would try try a 1/4" split adapter with 6mm bits.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Does anyone know of a adapter that LHR suggests for 1/4 bits?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I do not use spit adapters so I cannot say. LHR warns against holding carbide bits in spit adapters. The bits can "walk" out. I think you would always have to get the slot in the right place and then you would still have to over tighten the CT. Ok for steel shank bits I guess.

I would try try a 1/4" split adapter with 6mm bits.

Lee Valley Tools has adapters 1/2" to 6mm that may work for you.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast