Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke bit when drilling

Default Broke bit when drilling

As the title says, I broke my 1/8" cutting bit when starting a drilling operation.

The chuck/bit came down to the project but didn't start to turn and I didn't get to the stop button in time to prevent the bit snapping off.

Unfortunately I let my frustration get to me and simply switched the machine off and launched the ruined project out of my shop door into the yard.

So now that I'm somewhat more calm, how do I go about diagnosing the problem to prevent this from happening in the future?

It sounds like your motor did not start. You should run the cut motor test. Boot up the machine with a card in, any board, and remove the bit.

Hit the 0 button (options)
    Choose user tests (8, I think)
    Cut motor test (4, I think)

Ahhh... found the document
    http://support.carvewright.com/ac-cu...-test-replace/

I broke 3 bits in 2 weeks because my motor was intermittently not running. If you see an issue, make sure you solve it before trashing more 40 buck bits!

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    It sounds like your motor did not start. You should run the cut motor test. Boot up the machine with a card in, any board, and remove the bit.

Hit the 0 button (options)
    Choose user tests (8, I think)
    Cut motor test (4, I think)

Ahhh... found the document
    http://support.carvewright.com/ac-cu...-test-replace/
    Cut motor test ran successfully - spun like a devil. Doesn't really tell me why the cut motor stalled during the project though Certainly doesn't make me feel better about my machine being down another full week or more before I can afford to splurge on a $40 bit

Edit to add - good news is that my old lady is giving me permission to put the bit on the credit card instead of waiting since it's gonna delay paying work.

I hate intermittent problems.

Ours was a bad connection in the motor:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OverloadFuseConnections.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	562.2 KB 
ID:	78246

The wire on the right was not a tight loop, causing arcing. We trimmed it up and re-crimped, it ran another 100 hrs.

I hate intermittent problems.

Ours was a bad connection in the motor:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OverloadFuseConnections.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	562.2 KB 
ID:	78246

The wire on the right was not a tight loop, causing arcing. We trimmed it up and re-crimped, it ran another 100 hrs.
    I'm still under warranty and VERY uncomfortable with taking things apart. I've built PCs since I was a kid, but this is an order of magnitude greater because of the tolerances and operations it does. That said, since shelling out as much as I have on this machine, I have been slowly coming to the realization that unless I want to spend $200 in shipping every time something goes wrong I'm going to have to become a mechanical engineer really *(#&ing quickly.

I certainly agree that 2 way shipping should not be the responsibility of the owner when it is a manufacturing defect.

I certainly agree that 2 way shipping should not be the responsibility of the owner when it is a manufacturing defect.
    I just feel like a quality control agent whenever I run into a new problem with the machine. When my TV went out under warranty last year and I called Sony they didn't have me take the back off my TV to tell them what I see, they sent someone to my house to fix it.

Could it be the right cover switch. Is your DC holding the cover up?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Could it be the right cover switch. Is your DC holding the cover up?
    No sir, when I modified the cover to fit the DC, I made absolutely sure I was getting solid contact with the switch. If that were the case, I'd have run into the same problem with the 15 holes I drilled with the machine over the past 3 days

Did the cut motor spin up for the bit change step for starting your drill operation?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast