Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Source CNC Router for rough cut wood slabs

canyonsam Guest

Default Open Source CNC Router for rough cut wood slabs

I am attempting to build a 8'x4' CNC router specifically designed for rough cut wood slabs. I have launched the project on kickstarter.com. Any feedback, positive and negative is welcome and needed. Support is always welcome!

Here is the link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-for-rough-woo

Thanks
    Last edited by canyonsam; 10-17-2012 at 05:11 PM.

The link did not work for me.

Doug Fletcher

I don't quite understand how the program works. I did alot of carvings on tree slaps , 14in x about 4 ft or so,and 3ins. I used to have a chainsaw that allowed me to take slaps the thickness I wanted. If I remember about 3ft or so wide. I would use cut-offs that were left to rot around my camp in Maine when they were cutting wood.

Capt Barry

canyonsam Guest

Default sorry for the wrong link

I included the correct link. I started with the carvewright machine, and then built my own cnc. This machine design will allow for large rough cut wood slabs to be loaded by forklift onto a table with spaced 2x4's for attachment and sacrifice material.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonsam View Post
    I included the correct link. I started with the carvewright machine, and then built my own cnc. This machine design will allow for large rough cut wood slabs to be loaded by forklift onto a table with spaced 2x4's for attachment and sacrifice material.
    Very nice looking product line you have.

My concern about use the 2X4 cross members is wrapage and twisting. Seems to me if you are building that caliber of a machine you may want to consider using steel tubing. I can visualize a pneumatic clamping system and pneumatic levelers.

I have been researching a water cooled spindle for one of my machines. Looking at a 1.5K spindle (all that's needed for me). Did you build your own VFD or was it purchased? http://www.ebay.com/itm/230715508514...84.m1438.l2649 are pretty reasonable and may go that route.

BTW>>>> Welcome to the forum.

canyonsam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Very nice looking product line you have.

My concern about use the 2X4 cross members is wrapage and twisting. Seems to me if you are building that caliber of a machine you may want to consider using steel tubing. I can visualize a pneumatic clamping system and pneumatic levelers.

I have been researching a water cooled spindle for one of my machines. Looking at a 1.5K spindle (all that's needed for me). Did you build your own VFD or was it purchased? http://www.ebay.com/itm/230715508514...84.m1438.l2649 are pretty reasonable and may go that route.

BTW>>>> Welcome to the forum.
    The 2x4's will provided a point of attachment as well as sacrificial material. It will be replaced on a regular basis as needed. The VFD I am currently using was purchased. The spindle I am currently using is a 1.5k water cooled spindle with a er11 collet. The new machine I am building will be using a 3k water cooled spindle with a er20 collet. I will be making a dvd video that will detail the construction and use of the machine....It is offered for pledging for the kickstarter project.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canyonsam View Post
    The 2x4's will provided a point of attachment as well as sacrificial material. It will be replaced on a regular basis as needed. The VFD I am currently using was purchased. The spindle I am currently using is a 1.5k water cooled spindle with a er11 collet. The new machine I am building will be using a 3k water cooled spindle with a er20 collet. I will be making a dvd video that will detail the construction and use of the machine....It is offered for pledging for the kickstarter project.

Thanks
    What you need is a 24" Z. Have you been over to CNCzone? Lot of folks well versed in this area.

Not sure if your seeking help or funds. Maybe I should get a kickstrarter account Hmmm. I know the folks here will support my habit.
    Best of luck on your new build.
    Last edited by PCW; 10-17-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: sobered up

canyonsam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    What you need is a 24" Z. Have you been over to CNCzone? Lot of folks well versed in this area.

Not sure if your seeking help or funds. Maybe I should get a kickstrarter account Hmmm. I know the folks here will support my habit.
    Best of luck on your new build.
    I am considering a 12-16" Z....I have not decided. A 24" would be awesome...
    I am seeking advice, feedback, funds, and help....Just trying to put this project together. I am on CNCzone and getting feedback from there too.....join kickstarter! It is great to get support for jump starting a creative project.

Thanks
    Sam

10. Default

Do you need to carve that deep (12-16"Z) or do you just want to be able to fit a slab 12-16" thick on the work surface? If the latter then did you consider an adjustable work surface that you can raise or lower as needed?
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast