Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse - Project of the Month March 2011

1. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG6030.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	60193This is whats happening. Front and back is fine yet the sides seem to be carving not as deep.

Quote Originally Posted by reeniewhalen View Post
    Correction All sides .375"?
    Hello,

No, the MPC should be run as-is - please don't change any depth settings. Sorry to hear you had a depth issue. Somehow the bit depth was off.

Edited after seeing your photo.

The project should come out 'exactly' like you viewed in the software...with windows and all. The z-depth changed during the project run.

1) What is your shop temperature?...warm...cold?
    2) Did you get any errors shown on the LCD? If so, what did it say?
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

3. Default

The temperature is controlled at 69-70F all the time. As for errors, none. Just what was given in the instructions. Since having the problem i meticulously clean/lube the y/z drives and having done other projects they all turn out fine, just every now and then the infamous "refind" error with the correct bit inserted mind you, which can be mind numbing!

The temperature is controlled at 69-70F all the time. As for errors, none. Just what was given in the instructions. Since having the problem i meticulously clean/lube the y/z drives and having done other projects they all turn out fine, just every now and then the infamous "refind" error with the correct bit inserted mind you, which can be mind numbing!
    Which chuck does your machine have?...the original QC..or..the new CarveTight?..or the Rock chuck?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

5. Default

Well i just tried to do it again. Downloaded afresh from the website and it still leaves out the side window frames. No modifications to the file, none whatsoever. The chuck is the new carve-tight. And the lumber is exactly 3/4". The back and front windows turn out fine. So the Z-truck cant be having and problems. Its baffling.

6. Default

One thing i have noticed, if you hover the mouse over the front face windows the presumed depth readings from what i understand are,(Pattern Front/ Back) window frame .073", Window rectangles 0.107. (Pattern Side) window frame 0.00" and window rectangles 0.034". I assume these are the cutting depths?

One thing i have noticed, if you hover the mouse over the front face windows the presumed depth readings from what i understand are,(Pattern Front/ Back) window frame .073", Window rectangles 0.107. (Pattern Side) window frame 0.00" and window rectangles 0.034". I assume these are the cutting depths?
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. It is baffling indeed.

Would you please post a photo of the ENTIRE board? I want to take a look at that for some possible clues.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

8. Default

I have taken a shot angled so you can see the anomaly. As you can see the slight depth increase starting the first of the side panels.
    For curiosity, i downloaded the same file from CW website and have the same issue with the depth quoting .300 on my separate laptop pcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG6035.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	61023

Update, at this time i deleted the front and back panels, re-sized the board for just the side panels and increased the panel depth to the same as the front and back which states 0.375" as to the 0.300 for the sides. Will update in an hour or so.
    Last edited by reeniewhalen; 03-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.

I think every other log is set to different depth. Are you staying under the rollers?

I have taken a shot angled so you can see the anomaly. As you can see the slight depth increase starting the first of the side panels.
    For curiosity, i downloaded the same file from CW website and have the same issue with the depth quoting .300 on my separate laptop pc

Update, at this time i deleted the front and back panels, re-sized the board for just the side panels and increased the panel depth to the same as the front and back which states 0.375" as to the 0.300 for the sides. Will update in an hour or so.
    Repeat, do NOT change the depths...they are correct (they are supposed to be different!) and allow the assembly to fit together properly.

I really wanted a photo of the entire board length. I'll tell you why...I am questioning whether you really put the stated length of board into the machine (i.e., trying to save wood). The photo would have told me that. The problem is that the z-depth is being thrown off somehow. My initial thoughts are...either a bit is slipping or the board is tipping due to an end leaving the captivity of the pressure rollers and messing up the z-depth.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast