Thread: rotate dxf accurately

Default rotate dxf accurately

I know I can rotate by hand, but is there a way to input a rotation amount? I want to rotate by exactly 90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by hogiewan View Post
    I know I can rotate by hand, but is there a way to input a rotation amount? I want to rotate by exactly 90 degrees.
    You cannot rotate a dxf import at all...manually or otherwise. Before importing dxf vectors into Designer, I rotate my dxf's into the desired orientation in a drawing program (I mostly use CorelDRAW for that).
    ....or....
    A workaround is to import the dxf's, make enclosed shapes into carve regions, then make them into a pattern, then place the pattern on the board, rotate the pattern as you wish (either manually or by typing the angle into the rotation input box), then use the outline tool to create new vectors from the newly rotated pattern, then delete the pattern, leaving the outlines behind.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

You can rotate in the DXF importer. After import, click on the shapes tab. There is a "toggle rotation mode" button. After pressing it, one can rotate manually with the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You can rotate in the DXF importer. After import, click on the shapes tab. There is a "toggle rotation mode" button. After pressing it, one can rotate manually with the mouse.
    Yes, manual rotation while in the DXF Import window. No way to type in precise rotation values there. Good idea for a future feature enhancement, I think. In the meantime, rotating prior to import is a good way to achieve a spot-on rotation angle orientation.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Any suggestions for good software for rotating?

Corel Draw is only one of many, but works well for me

Quote Originally Posted by hogiewan View Post
    Any suggestions for good software for rotating?
    Couldn't you rotate within the software you're using to create the DXF file in the first place?
    ~ Mark K