Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: x motor stall

If I am reading this right, you are trying to run the machine with X drive free wheeling for test purposes. If that is the case, the tracking sensor may be pick up the fact the board never moved and kicking up an error. The motor should be hooked up and driving the belts, or tracking will cause errors, I would think (could be wrong).

2. Default

The x motor was replaced. Carvewright guys on the phone said it was probably a bad encoder. I put the new x motor in today and I have the same problem. X motor starts then stops immediately. This happens when it's engaged in the gears of belt drive or disconnected from it. Head pressure is not the issue. Motor not the issue. Didn't notice anything suspicious when x motor circuit board was inspected. Any ideas 💡?

Check the X Term board. When it stops the cut motor you can see the burn damage, I don't know about the X motor. Does the X motor have an encoder? I thought the tracking roller took care of that. Evidently what ever turns on the X motor is the problem.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

4. Default

The x motor does have an encoder which is why I bought a new motor. I tested the old motor before making the purchase and the motor worked fine in my outside the machine test. Thought maybe it was the encoder. Unless they sent a bad part I'm lost. Inspected x motor board and didn't notice any thing that stood out.

Check to be sure the rubber traction belts are not rubbing on the tracking roller "O" ring. After that, it could be cables, X-termination board, or the controller. Since a new controller is $300 I would start with cables and an x-termination board.
    Steve

I would next change the X Termination Board.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I would think that the problem is either that there is too much friction in the x drive system or that the motor is not getting enough power. (I think you have eliminated the encoder as the problem.)

My guess is the too much friction. With the x gear cover off, roll the large gear by hand and see how hard it is to move the belts with and without a board clamped in. You could also try measuring a board with differing amounts of head pressure. For example, just lower the head until the roller switches click.

8. Default

Motor has been tested without any resistance ( gears drive to belt feed removed) I do not believe it is friction as I have stated;the motor has also been tested outside the machine with no failures. I think I see a bad resistor on the x termination board as it appears to have black leads and all other resistors and capacitors are brown which appears to be glue

I think, but maybe wrong, that the X termination board is only the speed controller for the cut motor. The x motor power and control wires simply pass through the board as a connector.

It could be the controller itself. Hard to test and expensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think, but maybe wrong, that the X termination board is only the speed controller for the cut motor. The x motor power and control wires simply pass through the board as a connector.

It could be the controller itself. Hard to test and expensive to replace.
    If the board is bad you will loose power to the cut motor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast