Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wood gear electromechanical clock project

I am the project developer. Sorry for the trouble. I took great care in writing the instructions but I can't say that there is no issue with them. I am out of pocket until Monday evening and don't have any project materials with me. I will send you a private message with my home phone if you can wait until Tuesday. If not call and my wife can give you my cell number and I will try to help as best I can.

Nick,

I reread your post and I believe that the correct size for that tube is 3/16" not 3/8". Again I am working from memory. I'm very sorry for the error. I will check this and get it corrected as soon as I can. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

3. Default

DickB

Thanks for the offer to help. I figured the size must be 3/16 and ordered the tube. I am sorry for the anger of my last post, that was wrong of me, your project is simply amazing, I can not wait to see this done. As you can imagine I was upset with the stress of a tight deadline (end of school year) and in my other post the issues I am having with my machine carving sideways. So again I am sorry, hopefully we can get those plans changed before many others buy the project.

again thanks so so much for a great project

Nick

Where are you buying the 10 1/2" Maple? The widest I can find is 7 inches.

Kenny

Default Hardwood Stores

Quote Originally Posted by gapdev View Post
    Where are you buying the 10 1/2" Maple? The widest I can find is 7 inches.

Kenny
    Avoid the BIG BOX stores and go to the Yellow Pages and look for "Hardwood Stores" around your area. Call them you cross check if they have the width you could use.
    Here is one that may work: http://www.th-h.com/index.htm
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Hi Bud,

Thanks for the link. I do go to Austin in Santa Ana (apparently owned by the same Company). I spend way too much money in that place!

But, I don't have a planer, so I like to buy wood that is surfaced as close to the thickness as possible.

I avoid the Big Boxes as much as possible. They wouldn't have Maple, anyway.

Has anyone done business with Baird Brothers (bairdbrothers.com)?

My biggest problem is warpage. I live next to the Ocean and by the time I get home with the lumber, I swear it has already warped!

Another question about this clock. Is there any reason why the Dial isn't cut out continuously, instead of in 4 parts? Is it because it is too wide?

Kenny

7. Default

Kenny,

I teach a woodshop class, the maple is a glue up of mulitiple boards. I thought the same of the clock face, I took the image and put it in its own file and carved it out of a solid piece. Helps to keep grain lines clean and saves a step. I think Dickb put the clock face into the 4 sections to help save wood. Its very wasteful to do it the way I did. I also think he did it to make it easier for people that cant find wide stock easily. If you are buying the project please note a slight error. everything thats labeled as 3/8 should be 3/16, both tube and drill sizes. The directions are good and the project looks to be alot of fun, cant wait to see it done.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I bought the project and made a note in the PDF that the 3/8 tube is actually 3/16. I'll make a similar note for the drill sizes.

I was hoping to avoid glue ups but if that's the only way, then so be it.

I like the idea of having the dial as 1 piece. The waste is not a problem for me.

I've been waiting for some CNC clock plans like this for a long time. I'd love to see a Pendulum version.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by gapdev View Post
    I was hoping to avoid glue ups but if that's the only way, then so be it.

I like the idea of having the dial as 1 piece. The waste is not a problem for me...
    Kenny
    Hello,

In my area (Brunswick, GA), Maple is actually less expensive than the Select Pine I buy at Lowes (which I've been told is not uncommon for many parts of the country - clear pine is harder to come by, apparently). I found a local cabinet shop that stocks all types of hardwoods and will special order anything I need. I don't have a planer either, so they plane and surface/sand the boards for me...I pick out the wood in the morning...pick it up that afternoon by 3pm (they close at 3). For some projects, a glue-up may be best to avoid warp as much as possible. However, the Maple boards I have been buying are at least 11¼" to 12" wide (REAL inches). The last batch I bought, the boards are 12¾" wide! So, see if you can locate a cabinet shop that keeps a good supply of wood on hand...or, perhaps they can order boards in wider widths if you prefer not to do any glue-ups.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I used a four-piece clock ring partially for marterial and partially for aesthetics - I like the change in grain orientation. To each his own. I am on the road, but when I am able I will post a pattern to carve the ring in one piece.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast