Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

I am running 2.72b. It works fine in this version. The add on was actually by donation. Now I think it has become open source.

Here is a comparison I made between the Blender bas relief Vs simple z scaling. In the example, one knee was far forward. This screws up the simple scaling as, by the time the knee is lowered, the rest of the height map is over flattened. The Blender bas relief, on the other hand, flattened to the same height and retained much more detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bas Relief Screen.jpg  

Dan, thank you. I'll have to relook at that version again. I have that bas relief version somewhere and I did donate to the creator but I just could not figure out how to install it. This was right when I was starting this little blender journey a few years ago and really didn't have a clue (still not a whole lot better).

A guy in Russia took that original add-on and repackaged so it was easier to install and charged a fee for it. This version is no longer useable in the newer blender. I keep a 2.6 version so I can use it if I need to though.

Sorry for the delay in posting the gear making video. Had to visit family in Houston this weekend and just got back last night. Sorry to you Houstoners but I hate going to Houston. Driving in the 3rd largest city in the states just sucks. Especially since I don't know it real well.

Here is a super quick video on how to make gear patterns using blender 3d. Literally can be done in less than a minute if you have all the parameters set.

I did screw up the voice over a little. In selecting the inner loop I said use the A button when I meant use the ALT button to select similar edges in the model.

I didn't talk to how to calculate contact ratios with different sized gears since that takes a little bit of math that I typically don't use. I eye ball it and then clean it up later with a lot of sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXqCmfNCUs

Thanks Carl, Wow you're were right, is really easy using Blender 3D. I'm using the 1.187 version of CW designer. Do I have to purchase the STL importer add on to make this work? I've got a few add ons with my designer, mostly like centerline text, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor for the probe. I think each one of these were $100 at the time.
    Again thanks for taking the time to make this video on making gears in Blender 3D.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

What version of Blender are you using. Reason I ask is I don't have the gears listed in the mesh menu. I have version 2.77
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Your video is very helpful! Nicely done and greatly appreciated.

dbemus

dbemus, good. Hope its of use.

Jerry, you have to enable it.

Go to

: File

: User Preferences

: input in the search "extra" without the quotes. This will bring up two options. check the box for add mesh: extra objects

: select save user setting at the bottom of the user preferences window so it always opens with the extra options

: You now have gears and a few other meshes at your disposal

Let me know if you have any issues

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Thanks Carl, Wow you're were right, is really easy using Blender 3D. I'm using the 1.187 version of CW designer. Do I have to purchase the STL importer add on to make this work? I've got a few add ons with my designer, mostly like centerline text, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor for the probe. I think each one of these were $100 at the time.
    Again thanks for taking the time to make this video on making gears in Blender 3D.
    You do not have to have the stl importer addon but it makes life a lot easier. You can export it into CW designer as an image but you really have to set up your scene in blender really carefully to ensure the model is perfectly flat. You don't have the same control on the size or angle shapes but for a generic gear it is completely doable to export as an image. Here is a picture of a gear I just made from an blender image rendering. I added the circular groove using designer software just for coolness points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear imported as image.png  

Worked perfect, thank you, thank you, thank you.... would have never figured that one out...at least not now. Time to go play...and make some gears....
    CarverJerry

All this talk about gears is inspiring me again. I am not quite up to designing clock yet but I may try my hand at a kinetic sculpture this weekend. Ordered some high torque low rpm motors to power it.

Did some quick concept designs. May use some of it or I may not. Here is one idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT8vnKXSfno

Enclosed is the gear pattern for your carving pleasure. Again as always, ensure the settings are correct before you carve it/cut it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24T fancy gear.mpc.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast