Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

1. Default

I hear ya about cutting out stuff. I always go to the band saw too.

Alan, It is making me get better with the band saw since my skills with it are a bit lacking.

Here is model after glue up and first rough sanding at 120 grit. I'll probably go up to 180 or 220. I am now undecided on finish. Originally I was going to paint it but the wife wants me to stain and seal instead.

The top blemish on the wood is where I went a little crazy with the band saw. If I am going to stain it I will have to sand it down.

It is 20 inches long and about 3.5 inches high. I am super pleased with the model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4514.JPG   IMG_4523.jpg  

That is awesome. Isn't it great when a 3d model from your mind becomes real?

Oscar, it's pretty darn cool! Now I need to make one for my hubbie. I get not showing your SO things on the forum

I haven't used it, but how about ebony stain? If it comes out like I think it would, it could mimic the worn, mineralized look of the boat after a tour.

Dan, it is pretty great.

Dian, I have also never used ebony stain. I'll have to test how it looks on cherry at some point. I was thinking cherry stain on the cherry to darken it and give it a more aged look. I love how cherry oxidizes over time to a nice dark brown. I always leave this for special projects but a few coats of tung oil and wax will probably be the sealing method. Once its all sealed I'll drill and mount some brass rods for the periscope and antennas to finish the model.

That looks really nice Oscar, can't see a seam in the pictures. Showed nice detail. Sorry to hear about your saw giving up the ghost, maybe being so young Delta will fix it up for you.

7. Default

The Sub came out great, congratulations.

Mugs, thanks. I'm going to contact Delta tomorrow and see what they can do. I really like carving in cherry. It takes wonderful detail. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

Norm, thanks. If I have time this week I'll work on the stand for it. I'd like to have it completely done by next week to be able to mail it off.

That is really great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Dan, it is pretty great.

Dian, I have also never used ebony stain. I'll have to test how it looks on cherry at some point. I was thinking cherry stain on the cherry to darken it and give it a more aged look. I love how cherry oxidizes over time to a nice dark brown. I always leave this for special projects but a few coats of tung oil and wax will probably be the sealing method. Once its all sealed I'll drill and mount some brass rods for the periscope and antennas to finish the model.
    Oscar--if you're going to stain it--any color, you should use a wash coat of diluted shellac or other sealer before staining. Cherry is prone to blotching without it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast