Thread: Computer Upgrade Suggestions

Default Computer Upgrade Suggestions

I am working on specs to upgrade my computer, and was wanting to solicit some input on what works best with the CW software as well as the most common 3rd party software being used. I am currently running a machine with Win 7 and am plagued with the occasional GUI crash even with the suggested fix.
    Anyone have problems with Win 10?

I am looking at a Dell Inspiron 15 5000, it has the Intel Core i5-7200U processor and and Intel HD Graphics 620 video card, 8 G of RAM and a 1TB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive. I wish I knew what all of that meant, I guess my main concern for the CW and other applications is the graphics card.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Sas

Your main concern is the graphics card. Get the best you can afford. Dell is a good computer, in fact, I am sending this from a Dell All-In-One desktop. AVOID WINDOWS 10 LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! If you can stay with Win 7 do so. I have had nothing but problems with programs hanging up since I got Win10.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by universal-sasquatch View Post
    I am working on specs to upgrade my computer, and was wanting to solicit some input on what works best with the CW software as well as the most common 3rd party software being used. I am currently running a machine with Win 7 and am plagued with the occasional GUI crash even with the suggested fix.
    Anyone have problems with Win 10?

I am looking at a Dell Inspiron 15 5000, it has the Intel Core i5-7200U processor and and Intel HD Graphics 620 video card, 8 G of RAM and a 1TB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive. I wish I knew what all of that meant, I guess my main concern for the CW and other applications is the graphics card.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Sas

I would highly recommend Windows 10 over Windows 7. Much more stable.

You are probably getting gui crashes because you have too many patterns in your pattern list. I know it sounds crazy but the entire pattern list is loaded into memory when the program is started and if it takes up the memory space that is needed to do a requested task the whole program crashes. Ostensibly, there will be future Designer programs that will be better optimized for Windows 10.

The Dell Inspiron 15 is a low to middle of the road laptop with a 15" screen measured diagonally. The Intel i5 core processor is relatively slow when compared with the i7. Especially when compared with faster megahertz speeds and multiple core processors. 8 gb of ram will do the job but 16 gb is better. All tasks are loaded into memory when executed. If there isn't sufficient memory to load the entire process, Windows will swap parts of it to the HD which is much slower than memory.

A 1 tb hard disk (a 1 and 12 zeros bytes or 1000 megabytes) is probably enough disk space unless you store a lot of large graphic files and videos. The 5200 rpm is relatively slow. 7200 rpm is better. The faster the disk spins, the faster the access. Better yet are the Solid State Drives (SSD) disks. The technology is base on data that is stored on interconnected flash memory chips that retain the data even when there's no power present (non-volatile). There are no moving parts to wear out so they generally last longer and have faster access speeds.

The video card is built in so it really can't be upgraded afterwards. It would be adequate but not really built for high-end graphics.

Overall, the Dell Inspirion 15 with Windows 10 is a good computer OS combination for general use and will certainly do the job. However, if you like speed there are better computers for high-end graphics. They are also more expensive. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Steve Nelson
    Former IT Systems Administrator, University of Arizona (retired)
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-14-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Punctuation and wording
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I would highly recommend Windows 10 over Windows 7. Much more stable.

You are probably getting gui crashes because you have too many patterns in your pattern list. I know it sounds crazy but the entire pattern list is loaded into memory when the program is started and if it takes up the memory space that is needed to do a requested task the whole program crashes. Ostensibly, there will be future Designer programs that will be better optimized for Windows 10.

The Dell Inspiron 15 is a low to middle of the road laptop with a 15" screen measured diagonally. The Intel i5 core processor is relatively slow when compared with the i7. Especially when compared with faster megahertz speeds and multiple core processors. 8 gb of ram will do the job but 16 gb is better. All tasks are loaded into memory when executed. If there isn't sufficient memory to load the entire process, Windows will swap parts of it to the HD which is much slower than memory.

A 1 tb hard disk (a 1 and 12 zeros bytes or 1000 megabytes) is probably enough disk space unless you store a lot of large graphic files and videos. The 5200 rpm is relatively slow. 7200 rpm is better. Better yet are the Solid State Drives (SSD) disks. The technology is base on data that is stored on interconnected flash memory chips that retain the data even when there's no power present (non-volatile). There are no moving parts to wear out so they generally last longer and have faster access speeds.

The video card is built in so it really can't be upgraded afterwards. It would be adequate but not really built for high-end graphics.

Overall, the Dell Inspirion 15 with Windows 10 is a good computer OS combination for general use and will certainly do the job. However, if you like speed there are better computers for high-end graphics. They are also more expensive. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Steve Nelson
    Former IT manager, University of Arizona (retired)
    That definitely helps. My current machine is a tower and I was wanting to go with a lap top with a docking set up. I'm wanting more than what will just work but rather run everything very well and leave room for more.
    If not the Inspiron, what would you suggest?

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by universal-sasquatch View Post
    That definitely helps. My current machine is a tower and I was wanting to go with a lap top with a docking set up. I'm wanting more than what will just work but rather run everything very well and leave room for more.
    If not the Inspiron, what would you suggest?

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk
    We used a lot of Dell computers at the University where I formerly worked and they seemed to be okay. We also built a lot of high-end computers from scratch to get the performance for specialized programs. I don't really have any recommendation for one computer over another. Just knowing what the specs are and how they affect the performance will help you choose a computer that is suitable for your needs. Reliability, warranty and company support are big factors also. Do the research, pay close attention to the reviews, and try not to be influenced by company marketing BS.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-14-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    We used a lot of Dell computers at the University where I formerly worked and they seemed to be okay. We also built a lot of high-end computers from scratch to get the performance for specialized programs. I don't really have any recommendation for one computer over another. Just knowing what the specs are and how they affect the performance will help you choose a computer that is suitable for your needs. Reliability, warranty and company support are big factors also. Do the research, pay close attention to the reviews, and try not to be influenced by company marketing BS.
    At one time Dell was one of the leaders for performance, reliability and customer service. They took a big hit several years ago and lost a lot of ground. Toshiba and ASUS have made lots of head way against them. I currently use an Asus gamer lap top system and have been very pleased with how it handles the programs I use.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

8G and 1TB is preferred. Make sure this is a 64 bit operating system and not a 32.
    Also look at
    screen size and quality, 1366x768 is ok up to 15", beyond that it looses something.
    try out the keyboard to make sure you like it, is it too small for your fingers, too sensitive, etc. I like a numpad on the keyboard.
    The more RAM you have allows you to run more applications at the same time (8G is good)
    This SATA hard drive is ok, SSD is lighter and faster but more expensive. If you can afford it get a SSD drive (solid state). The solid state is more durable and the SATA is on the way out - I think.
    What's the battery life? This model has a 43W battery which is at the low end of good (aim for 43W-50W). The more you run will use the battery power faster.
    Number of USB ports. The more the better in my opinion. One for the card reader, one for printer, one for camera cable, one for scanner, one for whatever.
    Does it have an ethernet port? If not you will be relying on WiFi to connect to the internet or get a USB to ethernet adapter. There's another USB port in use!
    I like Windows 10 and have not had any problems. Every generation of OS's are getting better.

At one time I was a Dell fan but they were too proprietary. I have all HP and one Toshiba. The support for both has been great. The Toshiba is dedicated for Carvewright and anything related ONLY. I use the HP for everyday use. The HP has a touch screen but the only time I use it is if I take my laptop on the road, then I don't need the mouse, otherwise I use the mouse, I just think it's faster. The best time to buy is February or March, stores are clearing out inventory for the new models. I bought both laptops at half price. I see the model you are looking at has a large price range, the more expensive is not always the best. HP is having a 60% off sale right now.
    Hope this helps.

Just an FYI: I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with 16GB system memory, 1TB HDD, and Windows 10. I have had no issues with the CW software to this point.

Well, I got the new Dell with Win 10 and it worked fine until the first update and now I am experiencing the same headache some others have mentioned.
    Every time it updates I get locked out of the program and prompted to license it. I have had to call CW twice to get back in and about to call again when they open.
    Does anyone else have a work around for this?
    The CW software is the only one affected by this.