Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grave Marker

How thick is the PVC? IS it the same thickness as the MDF?

The MDF was 1/2". The HDPE is 1", plus a 1/2" sheet of MDF under it as the sled. Set the total project height to 1.5" in the software when attempting the final carve in the HDPE.

It almost looks like the HDPE block was cupped. The beginning of the wording (on the right) did ok depth-wise, but as it got to the middle...nothing. Then the end was starting to look a little better. It's not cupped, so I don't know whats going on.

The sled had 3" blocks on either side to hold the HDPE in place, and it was set to stay under the rollers. Everything together was pretty heavy...don't know if that played a part in it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgav34 View Post
    Well, I was going to go the route of the 1"x12"x18" HDPE. Found some stone textured spray paint and was going to paint the letters and graphics black...kind of a faux stone marker.

Did a couple test carves on 1/2" MDF (painted with the stone texture) to get the carving depths of the graphics right. Went to carve the PVC, but some of the text barely even scratched the surface, not even enough to be seen in some spots. Since I can't change the depth of the text without resizing it, which isn't an option, any ideas what might have caused it? Dull bits maybe? Looked great on the MDF.

Since the MDF turned out pretty good, I'm rolling with that until I can get her a more permanent solution. I cut a block, that I'll liquid nails to the back of the carving, that has two holes drilled at 30 degrees that accept a couple metal stakes for placing in the ground, to keep the MDF up off the ground. I'm loading everything up with 3-4 layers of Minwax pro-series spar-urethane. Hoping it will last long enough until I can get something a little more durable for her.
    In the first post you indicated it was 1 inch thick but then you said the midfield was 1/2 inch. Did you u change the depth on your virtual board and save/imported it to thr card?

In my very first post, I was planning to use 3/4" Oak. Then I mentioned finding a 1" thick piece of HDPE that would be better. Then in my most recent post I mentioned doing test carves in 1/2" MDF then trying it on the 1" thick HDPE with a 1/2" MDF sled under it.

But yea, I changed the depth in the software between the MDF and the HDPE.

I never reset the the project thickness when using a sled.

Default How to charge???????

What is your process in figuring out the retail? What is the thickness you use? Do you use any different in bits for wood or corian? Very interesting!!!!!!! Larry

Quote Originally Posted by cedarwoodworks View Post
    What is your process in figuring out the retail? What is the thickness you use? Do you use any different in bits for wood or corian? Very interesting!!!!!!! Larry
    Not sure on how to figure retail as I don't sell much of my work as others do here. Not sure what your thickness question is. If you could add a bit more pertaining info to the question, I'm sure you will get an answer. The bits offered by LHR are carbide and work great with both wood and corian. Carbide bits can cut most any material put in front of it. The machining world is full of carbide tooling to preform the tasks they contend with. Gearing and power are the only real differences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12