Thread: Lots of trouble and a QC question

Default Lots of trouble and a QC question

Seems like this past week caused every unusual problem I could possibly come up with.

First - I get continual Y axis errors on cutting some walnut for a couple of coaches awards. I eventually got them done and they were incredible. But the Y errors were driving me up a wall. The machine stopped about every fourth pass to tell me to clean the rail. I did that for an hour before I just started hitting the enter button to continue. It really wasn't dirty. I even tore into the y motor in order to see if their was a "gum up" problem inside that. Does anyone know if carving Walnut is always this much of a hassle? - I carved a piece of pine afterwards and it ran just fine.

Next - The plastic tab on the left side of the cover broke off, ordered a new one and then just decided to bypass the switch temporarily. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Felt like "Talk Like A Pirate Day" in my garage.

Then - The humidity seemed to be causing a problem and I started up some fans for a little relief, but that won't help, so I quit carving for the day.

And Now? ----- The QC seems to have stuck at the second ring. I can put bits in, but they wobble and I know I'm asking for trouble if I try to carve that way. Its compressed up and I can't even get a wrench on it to remove it. I have an extra QC but if I can't get at the upper nut it does no good to yell in frustration. I've used some penetrating oil, but does anyone know how any other methods?

Thanks

Default test do not run..

Hello!
    time for the wiggle test..

1. your Z truck could be loose check all the screws
    2 your QC can be backing off the spindle.
    3 bad QC and adapters

LG

Default Thanks for quick reply

Z truck - will check that one as soon as I get back to the shop.

QC backing off the spindle???????
    You mean is it loose on the spindle? - Not quite sure how to tighten since I can't get at the nut at the top. Any ideas?

Adapters don't appear marred or dented, but I had planned on changing them out if I can solve the QC problem. Its just getting at that nut that is driving me bonkers.

Thanks

but does anyone know how any other methods?
    take the flex shaft out and use the QC removal tool at the top then take a rag and twist the QC back and forth. The oustside ring should drop down now as its a cam design.

to get the QC off you need a flat 7/8 wrench to slip in between the QC and spindle.

You mean is it loose on the spindle?

yes.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-13-2009 at 06:34 PM.

<<<<< SALES PITCH >>>>> I recommend you get a rock chuck and end the QC problems. Not sure about the Rock and a in warranty unit?

As for the Y Stall.... The black clips on Y roller bearings can get sawdust pitch on them and cause a Y problem. I would remove the clips and wipe down the Y rollers with solvent and the rail too.

Other than that, chips in the Y belt can cause stalling too.

A worn Y Gear Box Bearing can cause the stall too.... You remove the motor and belt and check the big gear for wobble. It is a sleeve bearing and when it gets dry it wears out. I lube it from the back C Clip.

If you have an old Z Motor around from the Bundle upgrade the gear box will replace the Y box.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default agree

I would have to agree, get the rock chuck and forget about the qc issues for good. I could not be happier with mine, machine is quieter, smoother finish, less vibration, bits don't ever stick, no bit adapters to go bad.
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126