Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: rock chuck

I have taken off two. The first one I destroyed the whole Z truck and had to get another.
    This time I used a 1/8" bit and heated the back end of it until it was red hot then stuck it into the chuck hole. The heat was there right at the threads and it came loose with out damaging anything else.
    I don't know what is the best way but heating the QC on the Z truck was bad for me. The latter worked good and did not take long.
    I have over 60 hr on it with the rock and doing just fine.

Wilbur

When I replaced my QC, it came off without any issues. I wonder how many folks are maybe just turning it the wrong way?

It can be a little confusing when looking at it upside down. When standing at the key pad side, the QC wrench has to be pulled toward you. Not trying to be insulting here. Just a thought.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

It would be my guess that a good percentage are doing just that.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    When standing at the key pad side, the QC wrench has to be pulled toward you.
    Thanks Chris, nice putting a visual perspective to the task.

Joe

When I replaced my QC, it came off without any issues. I wonder how many folks are maybe just turning it the wrong way?

That is exactly what I was thinking! I have had 3 calls that I remember over the last two years from folks who were TIGHTENING the QC instead of loosening it. One fellow broke the square drive, another "rounded" the square hole, the other stopped and called before damaging his machine - he bought a heat gun, applied heat for a full two minutes (twice), and it came right off (I do recall he used a short length of pipe slipped over the wrench to get some leverage - he had the use of just one arm).

EDIT: I should note that in those three cases, pilot error was to blame for messing up their QC - bit adaptors were not seated properly.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

YES.... Even "I" AL who remembered to watch the Rock video just before I changed my QC to ROCK.... Just to make sure I was not going the wrong way...... You too can be a Rock Fan.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I didn't use any heat. The biggest thing was modifying a "strong" #6 square drive bit to fit the top of the spindle. I posted pictures of this some time ago. With that bit in a ratchet and the wrench on the QC, just a firm tug in the correct direction it came right off. This was after 430 hours of use.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

It can be a little confusing when looking at it upside down. When standing at the key pad side, the QC wrench has to be pulled toward you. Not trying to be insulting here. Just a thought.
    Chris has a very good thought here, but we need to be very cautious with this statement. Using the tools that i supplied with the kits, I instructed people to let the QC wrench rest on the shelf of the machine and lock itself in place. Then turn the square tool on the top. If you are trying to follow my instructions you will push the top wrench away from you if standing on the keypad side.

Please read that two or three times, as this has been a source of confusioin in the past.
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

I didn't use any heat. The biggest thing was modifying a "strong" #6 square drive bit to fit the top of the spindle. I posted pictures of this some time ago. With that bit in a ratchet and the wrench on the QC, just a firm tug in the correct direction it came right off. This was after 430 hours of use.
    Maybe you used it so long that it got so hot that all of the loctite melted out!... LOL

Just kidding, but you sure had really good luck out of that chuck!
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

YES, if turing the top, it's COUNTER CLOCKWISE as usual to remove. Good point Ron.
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast