Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Fluctuation

Default Power Fluctuation

Has anyone scene this error and what does it mean?

Either it is your AC power in the house or more than likely the L2 in your power supply board had vibrated to the point that the wire is broken. If the power goes out if you lay in on it's back or muffler side it might turn back on due to gravity pulling down on the coil.

Most likely you need a new power board. Call LHR. The copper pads on the board are too easy to mess up doing it yourself.

Search "Power Supply L2" and you will see pictures I posted a dozen times.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Unhappy 1 Hour Old n Power Flucuation

I have had my machine now for some time, but due to my military commitments, I have not been able to use it untill today. I was going to try making a simple sign for my unit. When the job was finished, I was not happy with the results, no problem, I'll just change it up a bit and see what happens. Everything was looking real good, untill a half hour into the project the machine quit (power flucuation was displayed). I have a message into CW, probably will be telling me that it is out of warrenty and it will be on my nickel to fix it, though I only have I est. only 1 hour of actual time on the machine. Will be letting you know.

SSgt M. Green
    USAR

SSgt M. Green,

1:30 AM and I am quitting in the Shop and one last look at the Forum...

Your power supply problem is common. The L2 on the power supply is glued but still vibrates and breaks the leads below the surface of the board where they are bent over.

It could be hard to see but lightly pushing on the coil, it it rocks then it is broken.

It can be fixed.... Someone posted the other day that they found a cold solder joint on L1 the bigger coil.

Here are some pictures.

Good Luck and Welcome BACK.

AL

FCC(SW) USN Retired
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03700_WEB.jpg   DSC03707_WEB.jpg   DSC03710_WEB.jpg   DSC03713_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-13-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

SSgt. thanks for the help. The photo's explains the problem very well. It hasn't done it in a while but I am getting ready to put the machine on the bench, give it a good cleaning and servicing. I think that will be a good time to check it.

Unhappy Follow up

Today I attempted to contact CW Help Desk, but was unable to reach anyone even after waiting as long as 20 minutes on hold and left several meassages to please return my call. So I hope they will be good enough to call back tomorrow. Tonight, I am going to take a look at the indusctor coils and see if I can come up with a solution. Thanks for pointing me in a direction to look.

SSgt M. Green
    USAR

Default L2 does not look it is the problem

Just got done looking at L2. The leads did not look to be broken and I resoldered the connection, but no luck. Will have to think about this some more. I am even considering using an old computer power supply as the AC input to the board provides the AC to the machine and the entire board is dedicated for develope the required DC for the electronics. Does anyone have comments on this idea?

SSgt M. Green
    USAR

Default Solder looks dull not shinny

mgreen33602

Take a look at all the solder joints on the PCB, When it was solderd it look like some of the PCB did not get up to temp and solder did not whick thru the barrel of the PCB (look at both sides of the pcb and there should be solder on top and bottom)thats the probelm i had. I found more open joints than just L1 or L2. If you find this then there could be a open barrel (solder on top or solder on bottom but nothing in the middle) i think this is where the cracking start. Take a look a with a magnifier that way you can really tell..

Where are you located, if you cannot get it i would be glad to stop by if you are close to Wisconsin.
    Twoatlow8

Default Bad Joints

Yes, I did find many bad joints in the power supply and think I have it fixed. CW sent me some info on checking the PS and they showed a load resistor I believe across the 24V output, they did not say what value though. I am disapointed that this happened and I think CW could have done better by it's customers. But in the end, it appears to be working, so it is time to try to wear it out.

By the way I am in Pittsburgh, Pa.

SSgt M. Green
    USAR

Default yahoo !!

Well to tell you the truth i have seen alot of units and there was one i coulndt figure out until i found the solder joints bad. If the PCB doesnt go thru an xray machine its very hard to tell..plus the xray cost alot of $$..
    I am just glad your up and running, hope i helped.

Please send me an update on how your doing or if you took any pictures..
    Twoatlow8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast