Thread: Shaft Melted: Am I screwed?

Default Shaft Melted: Am I screwed?

I know "Shaft" and "Screwed" jokes are tired, but alas, here I am.

Okay, everybody, I'm now Officially in the "Didn't lube my FlexShaft enough and have now had a melt-through" club. (see attached).

I KNOW, I know. I'm acting like a complete newb, even though I've had this machine for years now and have submitted HEAPS of projects. Look. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

I didn't think it was that hot! Seriously! I didn't know that the twisty-tie part was the hottest, so when I'd check for heat, I'd check closer to the chuck. And it never DID get that hot! But where the twisty-tie is... Yeah. That apparently got hot. And she made a coughing sound, too! I even got AUDITORY WARNING that she was under-lubed! Why don't they listen...

Anyway, here's why I'm writing to all of you (besides my announcement that I'm in the dumbass club): The hole that's burned through isn't a big one. I don't wanna drop 70 bucks on a new FlexShaft. So my plan was to carefully lube th' flex-shaft as per specifications (got a Chain-Lube with Moly an' everything), wrap some high-temperature tolerant tape around the wound, and then pretend like it never happened.

Is that REALLY stupid? Or would that be fine? I figure, worst case scenario, I'm gonna screw up the flex-shaft and have to buy another one, but if that's the boat I'm in NOW, what do I have to lose? The burn-hole isn't a big one, and would be easily taped up... Am I flirting with disaster?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BurnShaft_01.gif  

I would try your approach too...the right tape will be the key.

I use the Cranes Cam Assembly Lube 99002-1. I think it is the best lube
    for flex shafts and for the QC too. It is mentioned on the YouTube video on the QC.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

sevencubed; sure, i would use it again. what lube were you using when this happened?
    http://www.teapartypatriots.org/
    all tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Default tape on flex

You might be better off to try using heat shrink tubing rather than the tape. The tubing will stay put after you shrink it in place, but the tape may tend to loosen as the shaft housing temp rises to operating temp. Make sure there's no bits of plastic hanging loose in the housing, and the spring is free to move inside. The lubricant might also loosen the tape.
    The heat shrink tubing comes in many sizes; Radio Shack probably has some.
    Ron

I think you missed a chance of a real Pun..... "My flex shaft melted, Boy am I HOT" not screwed.....

I would cough up the $75.00 for the Flex and be happy.... If the Flex Locks up then you rip up the Cut Motor and break the front housing. I would look for cracks in the housing now....

I would not run the machine un attended. A nasty Shop Fire could be a real downer... And you Insurance company reading this post will void your coverage....

Pay me now or Really pay me later.....

Low tire air pressure due to a slow leak fix $10.00

Low tire air pressure due to a slow leak left go...

Flat at Highway speed....

Priceless....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com