Thread: Shelf holes

Default Shelf holes

Has anyone used the CW for drilling shelf holes in bookshelf sides? I would appreciate knowing how it is done and with what bit. It would seem that the carving bit would make tapered holes. Would I have to use a straight bit which is undersized, or could I use a drill bit of approprate diameter? The CW seems like it would be ideal for making these holes. How about it experts?

Default Re: Shelf holes

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdoc
    Has anyone used the CW for drilling shelf holes in bookshelf sides? I would appreciate knowing how it is done and with what bit. It would seem that the carving bit would make tapered holes. Would I have to use a straight bit which is undersized, or could I use a drill bit of approprate diameter? The CW seems like it would be ideal for making these holes. How about it experts?
    See attached 'mpc' This is for an 11 x 30" cabinet side w/ 1/4" holes for standard shelf pins. To drill holes you select the drill tool and it automatically selects the 1/8" cutting bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Paul, when it does it this was, does it drill it to depth at once, or does it make several passes goind deeper each time.

Could you use a 1/4" bit and say it's an 1/8 hole? Or some other way to use a 1/4" bit and have CW know it's a 1/4?

Thanks
    Shaddy

Quote Originally Posted by shaddy
    Paul, when it does it this was, does it drill it to depth at once, or does it make several passes goind deeper each time.

Could you use a 1/4" bit and say it's an 1/8 hole? Or some other way to use a 1/4" bit and have CW know it's a 1/4?

Thanks
    Shaddy
    Yes on the 1/4" bit w/ 1/8" hole in the software but my experience is the hole became just slightlu oversized. Using the 1/8" bit it takes several pases to make depth, and if the hole is loose, just instruct the software to make a hole .23 or .24.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

When I drill shelf holes , I just tell it to drill 1/8" holes and use a 1/4" spiral endmill in its place. I have had no problem's with it locating the 1/4" bit . WORKS GREAT. Make sure you use a bit that can plunge cut. some router bits do not.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years