Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the real story on this machine

bikerbum Guest

Question What's the real story on this machine

Hi all,

I've been looking at the CarveWright/CompuCarve for some time so have been researching it on line. I've noticed a lot of posts talking about things like the machine not working right out of the box, extra and unidentified parts in the machine, poor customer service, etc. I also see an aweful lot of posts telling how great it is. I'd like an honest opinion on the tool. Does it really have all these troubles?

2. Default Machine

I have 2 of them and love them both....

I would be happy to do it all over again, If you have questions you can feel free to give me a call.

Default Some day I'll own FIVE

Can't wait to get another one. Used and maintained properly, never had a significant problem. Customer service has always been timely, polite and attentive.

Been woodworking for over 30 years. NEVER had this much FUN!!! LOL
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

4. Default Hello...

Mr. Chris, hope all is well with you and I wish I had five.

hey chris

it is great to have you back on the forum

i hope all is well with your new venture and that you can make enough to go to sturgis next year lol maybe by then ill have made enough to by another harley(wishful thinking my wife says)

kendall
    no chips on the floor means no money in the bank

It's had it problems but overall with proper maintenance it's a nice easy to use machine that takes time to learn the in's and out's of proper operation like any machine of this type. Don;t expect to just plug it in, throw a piece of wood in it and get a masterpiece out of it.

I'd buy one directly from LHR or LittleRedWoodshop to make sure you get a machine with the latest updates. I believe many of the problems people report are from machine with the older style parts (controller, z-bundles, cut motor, etc.)
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

NorthWest PA, Just a few miles South of Erie

Any machine needs a knowledgable operator and good maintenance.
    That becomes more important when the machine is complicated. Without apologies, the CarveWright is necessarily complicated since it marries computer technology to the automatic operation.
    When the shipping container is opened the contents MUST be checked against the instruction sheet. If there are discrepancies (actual humans pack them) LHR will make immediate adjustments.
    If the machine is started without due self education in the operation and maintenance or the use of the design program, problems will CERTAINLY arise.
    Don't ask me how I know that.
    I designed, built and operated very complicated machines during my working career. Nevertheless, I wouldn't dare try to use the machine without considerable research. I had my machine for weeks before trying the most simple test carve.
    I encourage you to learn all you can about the machine and, yes, buy one. Just give it the respect it deserves.

d...

You can't have EVERYTHING - where would you PUT it?

Okay, here's the deal.....
    I love my machine, no doubt about it. I have made many gifts, birthday presents, litho's, etc. There is NOTHING as rewarding as seeing the recipients reaction when they receive gift that is "home-made" and personalized. It is priceless.......

Now, is the machine without problems? No, of course not!! It is a high-precision, computerized, device with MANY mechanical parts. It is used in a less than perfect environment; high vibration, dusty, and often times not temperature controlled. It requires frequent maintenance, cleaning, lubing, adjusting, etc. This is the nature of the beast.

I am not the most mechanically minded person, but I have read the invaluable information on the forum, and followed the advice as well as I can. Have I had problems? Yes.........I melted a flex-cable, replaced a QC, took the Z-truck head off to tighten some loose screws, replaced bits, etc.

But in EVERY case, between the forum advice, the excellent LHR support, and a little ingenuity, the carving continues.

I expect that I will continue to have occasional issues, things wear out, belts get loose or break, motors get old.... it happens with any device similarly constructed.

But I also expect the forum to get smarter, and LHR to continue to support those of us that have committed the time and invested the money in their company, and there is no reason to believe they won't.

I think customer service is excellent. I've had to use it for several parts under warranty. They helped verify the problem, then I ordered the parts I needed.

If you're going to do carving on this machine, it's great. If you want precision vector cuts, look elsewhere. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
    Thomas A. Edison

I purchased my machine in June and I have had to return it to CarveWright for an issue I had with it. I have had a few other issues, but none serious and all of them handled as easy as a phone call to tech support and they walked me through the troubleshooting and adjustments that I needed to and were able to make. I am not in any way mechanically inclined, so if I can make the adjustments they direct me to make anyone can! The quality and beauty of the products this machine is capable of putting out is worth a small amount of aggrivation I have had with it. I am hoping to grow this into a retirement business in the next 4 years before I retire from the fire service. It is baby steps with this machine because it has a bit of a learning curve. If you are not willing to read lots, make a few mistakes, ask questions, then do not purchase the machine. If you are willing to do those things, then do not hesitate to buy it. If you have problems, you will find no better people in the world than those that are on this forum. No matter what the problem, they are here to help immediately. Just post your problem and in a very few minutes, you will have answers and directions. Many of those that post here are pretty much techs in their own right and the techs from CarveWright post here as well. So I say take the plunge and step into a world of amazement on what this machine can produce and prepare yourself to for chatting with some of the finest people in the world.

Best of Luck in your decision

Jeff

Jeff Corder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast