Thread: Pricing Help-Need Input

Default Pricing Help-Need Input

Hi Folks,

Need some advice here.

I have made projects for folks and most of the time just give them away, or only charge for the wood (if I have to buy it)

Well I just received a request for two signs based on some work I did for a friend. I do not know the person, she just saw some of the signs I made and wants to buy a couple.

The signs are 42"x7.25" and 24"x5.5". Carving time is 1h:21m for the large one and 42m for the smaller sign.

Not counting material, what do you think would be a fair price range?

Know, I realize it depends on location, etc, etc.

I am located in Southern California.

The signs will be carved in either pine or poplar, sanded and sealed (paint ready)

I was think around $60 for the large and $40 the small. My wife thinks it is high, so I wanted to get your opionions. Design time was minimal (less than 30 min for both) I do not want to give them away, but want to be fair.

Here are some pictures of the two signs.

I would appreciate your help and input.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails baxter_family_sign_proof_24.jpg   baxter_family_sign_proof_42.jpg  
    -Pete
    pmwoodworks.com

Default Not high

It is not a high price when you consider all the handwork that goes into the sign (your hourly rate). I usually charge between 50 and 100 depending on the size and material.

I've talked to a couple of people in the business of running shows and they have said that if its difficult to come up with an hourly rate for your product you should at the very least be charging 4 times the material.

And having said all that - do you believe you will lose customers based on your pricing. If your customer doesn't really want to pay that much they will think they've gotten "taken" everytime they look at it and you won't get more business. If however you give them a rate less than you'd like, you might ask them to spread the word and gain more because of your goodwill with that customer.

3. Default

Putting the numbers in my spread sheet, the large sign at 42x8 and 81 minutes carve time, in cherry and finished with laquer or spar varnish, I would charge $53.99.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spreadsheet.jpg  
    Last edited by TerryT; 10-18-2008 at 08:36 AM.

My pricing for the large would be $30-40 and the smaller one $20-30.

This price is based on material used in board ft, design time & carve time.
    Last edited by Amonaug; 10-18-2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Ver 1.150
    Kevin

"Carving has it ups & downs"

I sell house signs that are similar and I am getting $35 for the small one and $65 for the large one. I stain, hand paint lettering and poly seal them. I also carve in my contact info on the back as a long-term business card! I live in New Mexico as far as your price comparison.

Another thing to consider is our products are typically custom work and very unique - what we do is so creative and can not be bought at discount stores.
    Last edited by Audie; 10-18-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    CarveWright - 192 days and still not able to carve

Thanks for all the replies.

From what I am seeing, I think I am a little high on my prices.

Terry, would you be willing to share your spreadsheet, I think it is a great idea.

Thanks for all the replies.

Pete
    -Pete
    pmwoodworks.com

7. Default

Sure, you can change the calculations to what ever you like. Send me a PM with your email address.
    All you do is put in the board size, including the extra 7 inches, your bf price and the carving time. The rest is pretty much automatic.
    Last edited by TerryT; 10-18-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_l View Post
    Hi Folks,

Need some advice here.

I have made projects for folks and most of the time just give them away, or only charge for the wood (if I have to buy it)

Well I just received a request for two signs based on some work I did for a friend. I do not know the person, she just saw some of the signs I made and wants to buy a couple.

The signs are 42"x7.25" and 24"x5.5". Carving time is 1h:21m for the large one and 42m for the smaller sign.

Not counting material, what do you think would be a fair price range?

Know, I realize it depends on location, etc, etc.

I am located in Southern California.

The signs will be carved in either pine or poplar, sanded and sealed (paint ready)

I was think around $60 for the large and $40 the small. My wife thinks it is high, so I wanted to get your opionions. Design time was minimal (less than 30 min for both) I do not want to give them away, but want to be fair.

Here are some pictures of the two signs.

I would appreciate your help and input.

Pete

Peter, I price by the board foot, take the width times the length divided by 144. I.E. based on a 1" stock say 12" wide by 24" = 12 X 24 = 288 / 144 = 2 board feet. Then I set a board foot price lets say $35.00 so the sign would be $70.00

For you sign you should round up when you buy the 5.5 wide board you are charged for 6 " etc. so 42" X 8" = 336 divided by 144 = 2.3 times $35.00 = $82.00 rounded up.

The other sign would be 6" X 24" =144 / 144 = 1 so times $35.00 the price would be $35.00.

It would be up to you to set the board price but it works well and it consistent.

That is my suggestion and what I do.

Ike

I'm intentionally opening an older post since I couldn't see where else to put this. There are a lot of pricing posts and I wanted to recommend a book that is about the best I've seen. I received it a couple of weeks ago and although I've been at this for awhile, it gave me a much better perspective. Obviously it isn't directed toward the CW but it's really well written and thought out for those that are doing this commercially and even the hobbyist with occasional sales.

"The Woodworkers Guide To Pricing Your Work"

http://www.amazon.com/Woodworker%C2%...79/ref=ed_oe_p