Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Take a look - critique, please

No need to outline the inner region, just open the carving list and delete the rectangle carve region? No point in having extra objects in the file if they aren't being used. This also allows the use of a feathered edge for the corners.

Rob

2. Default

Ok still doesn't change the fact it took away recessed center and made it all the same height. In cnsranch's original design the center was recessed a 1/4 of an inch. This cancelled out the centerline letters. With what Jim did may it be removing the rectangle carve region or outling the center it still changes the board depth and all the carving is at the same height.

I don't think it is what cnsranch wanted? I guess all we can do is see how it turns out and how he did it! I still think the sign frame is fantastic!

Rav

Sounds like a this could be a new feature for Carvewright to add to the designer program, the ability to specify the depth measurement location when changing bits. This could be added to the project by placing a dot on the workpiece in the location desired. This would also add the cabability of multiple depth carvings stored as one MPC.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Bud,

The solution was already posted in post #1 (cnsranch's first post of this thread) and once again in the link I gave in post #5 of this thread...i.e., "making two programs out of it , one with the carved region, then one with the lettering.
    Then when the lettering program starts , jog your bit to the recessed area for bit depth measurement."

That method fools the machine into thinking the recessed region is actually the top of the board before the centerline project begins. There is no depth setting for centerline text.

NOTE: There's a couple of tricks to force minor depth "control", such as choosing either the 60° bit vs. the 90° (the 60° carves deeper) or experimenting with very, very shallow carve regions, but there is no direct method of controlling centerline depth.
    Kipp

Hello Kipp,

Yep, that feature has been requested quite a few times. Not as easy to implement as one might think, though.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default No guts, no glory

So, assuming the weather holds this weekend, I'll run the attached and see what happens - got a nice piece of poplar to give it a try on.

The centerline text will be deleted off of house 1 before running - just left it on to make sure my measurements were ok.

Any ideas on finishing - it might be cool to finish the surface after the first carve, then stain the centerline after the second.

Something like a good exterior white enamel, the text would then really stand out. Or, a light stain followed by a couple coats of spar varnish, then carve the centeline - stain the letters dark. varnish should prevent bleeding, but might chip when carving the centerline.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123