Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: outlet cover and switch plates

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    The cover came out great...... maybe a little bit 'roomy', but that was better than being too small. Thanks again!!!

Ernie
    Pleased it worked, I am getting ready to carve mine.
    It was probably 'roomy' due to the style I copied from for my friend.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Default Also looking for receptacle covers

I found some receptacle covers on the forum - but am still in search of some more. If anyone has any to share, please send them to me or post them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrUserfriendly View Post
    I found some receptacle covers on the forum - but am still in search of some more. If anyone has any to share, please send them to me or post them.
    What are you looking for? This cover was a standard size and I just put some decorative carvings on the cover and then ran it through my drum sander to the depth I wanted. I used red oak, but any wood would work, I suppose.

Ernie
    Ernie ..... running 1.162 and the Rock

Default Response

I am inquiring if there might be some decorative carvings you have possibly collected or made since that time. For example, I have seen a posting with a very intricate wall switch - a small switch. My switches are larger switches. But, there may be out there a decorative cover plate for a single gang plug box similar to the decorative wall switch. I have only thought about this project for a relatively short time - but you have been heads up on this for a much longer time. I am hoping that you may have come accross more images of this kind. Thank you.

Try these. The problem I ran into was the recesses in the back of the covers needed to be carved for the plates to lay flat and allow the recepticles to come flush with the outer edge of the cover. I never did come up with a good way to do this and keep the decorative front intact. I suppose you could build a sled to carve both sides, but I didn't.

Hope this helps some,
    Ernie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Carve the backs first

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    Try these. The problem I ran into was the recesses in the back of the covers needed to be carved for the plates to lay flat and allow the recepticles to come flush with the outer edge of the cover. I never did come up with a good way to do this and keep the decorative front intact. I suppose you could build a sled to carve both sides, but I didn't.

Hope this helps some,
    Ernie
    Hi Ernie,

I too have made some outlet covers for my brother's house and found the same thing. My next idea is to scan the "back" of the various covers to get the right curved recesses (although I know just a rectangular carved region would do). Then, I'll put the backs on a board by themselves and carve them in "without" cutting them out of the board. Then in another project file "exact same size board" I'll put the details on them, flip the board over and carve them with all the cut outs needed.

I haven't been able to test this as I'm waiting for my new board sensor but I believe it should work out as planned. In the mean time, I'll try the scanning. Not sure but I think I can even without the sensor??

Chris
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Chris, actually I scanned a commercial cover and then played with the size until I got it right. That was before 1.126. That is the "test back" one. I guess I should have renamed it, but I didn't get 'around to it'. Probably should carve some of those too. lol

Ernie

Red face Whoops

Ernie,

I guess I should have actually looked at you MPC files as well...lol Will do so now....

Chris
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    Thanks but the software put tabs in to hold the center piece and I carve from a larger piece and allowed it to cut it out, 4 tabs are left to cut it free and it is soo neat. go ahead and try one, the carvings can be deleted and use your own design, next is figuring the back side relief cut,
    woodworkers supply has a good list of freudbits including a 1/8 spirol bit for around $19

Default Great ideas...

I looked at page 1 and I posted some dumb stuff when I was just starting.....

AL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234