Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer help needed??

Question Computer help needed??

This has little to do with the CC but where else can a person go to find such a vast amount of available knowledge. My question is I am going to do the upgrade thing but.... My laptop is acting wierd. I have a wireless computer router and now when I am on line I keep getting knocked off then I am back online again it will do this every 30 seconds or so and it only keeps me off for a few seconds. When I have been knocked off I check the wireless icon and tells me that I am getting a signal of 54 bps but I can't do anything on the internet until it cycles and connects again. So my fear is this happening while I am trying to upgrade. Is the problem the computer, the router, Mozzila Firefox, or non of the above. Would I be better running a lan to my work station and using that and can you buy them already made up.
    Thank You for all the help that is sure to come my way,

What windows are you running. i see vista having a fit with wireless alot
    xp had some problems but nothing like i have on vista

yes you can buy cables pre made circuit city or office depot
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

How far are you from the router? Any walls or floors etc. between the computer and router? First suggestion would be to move closer to the router and see if the problem goes away. Next, verify that the connection to the wireless router is not droping out. If it's good try powering the router down and backup or press a reset button if you have one on the router.

Kipp
    Kipp

Do have any other equipment that operates in the same band (2.4 gHz)? cordless phones can cause lots of problems, as can you neighbors wireless devices. You can try switching the channel that you wireless router uses and see if that helps.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default wireless

Microwave ovens will interfere also.

I had the same problem with mine. Windows XP Home edition. I recycled evrything. Modem, router and computer. Seems it all just gets "tired" and needs to be refreshed every now and then

Anyway, try rebooting.

BTW, is your wireless router WEP set? If it is open, you may have someone piggy backing and that could bump you off.

Ed
    A person has to know their limitations, I know I have none..

Hey oldjoe

With you living in Minnesota I know you have to be running your heat alot. The blower on your furnace can cause some interference too. The easiest thing to try first is move your computer to a different area of the house. If you can get it to work there then you are definitely getting some sort of electrical interference. Everything that is electric gives off harmonic frequencies to some extent. Florescent lights give off tons of frequencies. Many times just moving things around some will clear the problem. Also try moving the router if you can. As for me I go wired all the way. There is a lot less interference and living in town as I do there is less chance of someone getting outside access to my network. Walmart also carries just about anything you will need, to go wired, and at a good price.
    Good Luck
    Gimme Steam.

Thanks for all the input after checking I have just about everything that has been listed going on. Flourecent bulb , furnace, freezer and the cable box with remote that change the chanell all right next to the router.
    My wife was looking at the replies with me that I got on this thread and she was totally amazed at all the smart and helpful people that are on here.

Many many thanks to all who helped, I am going wired.

Default Router security

Oldjoe, additionally, there is a "Feature" in the firmware on most wireless routers that can be set to reset the wireless connection every "X" amount of time. This can be done for security purposes to boot off anyone piggybacking on your connection.

A couple of related security hints for the less security savy members, alway change the name of your wireless network from the out of the box setting. Something like "bobsnet" etc. Also, change the administrator password from the factory setting. These two items are done so that someone cannot log in as administrator and adjust your settings. If your wireless network is named "Linksys", a hacker can easily figure out what the default password is for a Linksys router and adjust your settings so that he has a back door into your network connection. Fortunately, Windows does a pretty good job of protecting the hacker from going the other way and getting into your computer.

Also, as someone already mentioned, turning on your WEP encription with a unique encription key will also prevent unauthorized access. One more layer of security is to set up the MAC Layer Address Security. Each computer network port (Wireless or wired) has a serial number know as a MAC Layer Address. It is possible to set it up so that your router will allow only your computer through the router and onto the internet. You can find your network card address by running ipconfig /all at the command prompt.

Hope these security hints and tricks help you or someone else on this list.

Doug MacDonald
    Compucarve Newbie
    NW Ontario, Canada

Default Wireless Router

Ditto on the last post. Before you do that, I suggest you "reset" your router first just in case someone did gain access and change settings.

Default AM Radio....

You might try a portable AM Radio and if you have a Electronic Noise maker in the house it will usually pick it up. The closer you get to it the louder it gets.

AL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast