Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanger Bolt Covers

Why not use a french cleat? You can buy a package of 6" wide cleats at your local hardware store. I would use two, one on each end of the frame. I have a 5'x8' frame for a front projection screen that is mounted with 1 cleat in the middle and the frame bows from the weight, but the cleat holds great.

Rob

Thumbs up Mounting Cleats

Good thought Rob,
    We make our own cheats all the time to hang and mount Fine Art and frames.
    Just in case some folks don't know what a mounting cleat is, this video should help.
    http://www.askthebuilder.com/French_Cleat_Video.shtml

We make several custom cleats each year, form small ones to hold a few Pounds to some very large ones to hold a few Tons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture a.jpg   Picture b.jpg   Picture c.jpg   Picture1.jpg  

Picture2.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 10-26-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

I too would back robs suggestion of a French cleat. When I was young(er) and I had all kinds of crazy jobs, one of them was hanging large and heavy objects in the air (assistant rigger). We used to use cleats all the time to hang several hundred pound objects (10 by 20 foot pictures, similar sized mirrors, etc) on a wall. Of course some of the objects were so heavy we would have custom cleats welded up for the job and then structural engineers would come in to determine the appropriate mounting location... but I digress... When using the cleat the problem was rarely ever how to hang it, but more often than not the real challenge was how to get the object up there in the first place so that it could be hung!... and I digress again!...

Dale

Thats a great idea. That should work real nice to hold it in place. appreciate the replies.

Also thanks for the video Ken.

French cleats are strong, we use them to mount game cabinets to walls. big bonus is the cleat can be screwed across multiple studs.
    a safety note is to have some type of pin, screw or latch to keep the project from being lifted off the cleat. I know a 200 lb project will not lift easy but if it did get bumped hard enough it would be bad for it to come crashing down.
    A screw can be very small and hidden. it only has to resist force in the up and out directions, which is opposite the normal weight force being applied.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12