Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your expertise??

1. Default About myself

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to start by saying that I have really enjoyed this thread. It is nice to "meet" the people that you are associating with. I guess that makes it my turn. I bought my CC because of a recent major life change. It sounds to me like I am not alone in having this be a reason to buy a machine such as this. In February my son his mom and a friend of theirs were in a horrific accident. They hit a semi head on in their pickup. Sadly mom and friend didn't make it. My son survived, but has some serious disabilities now. He fell victim to a traumatic brain injury and a severe neck injury. He is always improving, but will never be the same again. He has to be supervised 24/7 now. I have given up many of my hobbies to be with him. The CC has been a life saver for me. It is hard for me to stay at home and watch TV days on end with him, I have always been very active. Not that I would ever consider doing any different. It is nice to design projects, and let them run while we spend time together. I have woodworking in my blood you could say. My grandfather was a carpenter in Williamsburg VA, and became a luthier later in life. My father has always been an exceptional hobby woodworker as well. Me, I have never been so talented with wood. My skills have always been with metalwork. After completing college I became a machinist at a factory here in Montana. Currently I work in the QA office for an aerospace shop. The CC has spurred me into learning woodworking. The CC seems very easy for me to learn with by background in CNC machine work. It has caused me to desire to learn more about the fine art of woodworking.

I don't know how I've missed this thread all this time, but I guess I have. So let me expose my boring details.

I took shop classes in high school because every one else did too. I think I made a nail set, biscuit cutter, crude bookcase and a horseshoe tie rack............. to say I didn't excell would be an understatement! I also worked after school unloading box cars of lumber for a local lumber yard. That was pretty much the extent of my woodworking/metal expertise. I started college, but dropped out to join the Marine Corps in 1962. I guess they didn't think too much of my wood/metal skills, because they sent me to aviation electronics school in Memphis. I spent the rest of my 4 years working on helicopters at New River, N.C. After that, I lucked out and got hired by IBM as a Customer Engineer in the Field Engineering Division. I worked on everything from keypunches to mainframe systems, then turned my talents (?) to the software side of the business. After about 4 years of that, they figured I would do less damage as a manager, and eventually I moved to Detroit as a Field Manager and spent 4 years in various positions before making the final move to NE Pa.

I finished out my employment working in Endicott, N.Y. area and retired early in 1993. After all those years of being a type A charger, I found myself with nothing much to do. I hunted, fished and farmed for the first several years, but I still had way too much time on my hands. About that time I was approached to fill a Township Supervisor's position that had opened up because of a death. I did that for over 7 years, working as a Roadmaster and gettiing to run all that neat equipment that little boys dream of: Backhoes, graders, dump trucks, etc. One of the other Supervisors was in his late 80's and had a small woodworking shop........... the rest is history. I could see that this was something I could work (?) at as much as I wanted and as long as I wanted. Now all I needed was some equipment and a place to set it up. My wife spotted a used ShopSmith sytem coming up for sale at a local auction and I managed to by it. That led to several more (6), so I didn't have to keep changing setups when trying to finish all the steps in a project. (Thank you eBay!) I went out to Ohio to their factory school and got some education so I could stop producing so much kindling wood for the fireplace.

I've enjoyed learning and doing, as my skills slowly built up. They still have a long way to go, but I have learned so much from reading the woodworking magazines, online articles, and this forum. My CC has allowed me to do some really beautiful carvings to include in those projects, and that always draws attention away from the flaws in my work. Thank you to all who have helped me here! I hope I can be of service in the future to others also.

For right now I mostly make furniture and plaques that I donate to charities, or to friends. That way I can offer my "double your money back" guarantees. I am truly amazed at the credentials of the members here, and wonder if I'm discovered, that maybe they'll throw me out.

enough,
    Ernie

Default there are more members out there!! post here

I spent most of my high school time in the shop class, I took all of the shop classes offered, I took my study hall there, I student instructed the junior class, and I made projects for most of the teachers I had other classes during those years so I was allowed free reign to go to the shop whenever I wanted. I had sawdust or varnish or slag on me most of the time. I also learned how to weld, bend and cut steel there as well. I supervised a junior shop project making V8 motor stands for the auto shop out of recycled LP safety cages. I learned/taught valuable safety lessons and I still have all my parts.
    In college I took some machining and manufacturing classes, i was hired by an instructor at college to work on his projects (mostly refurbish rental property furniture) so I had free reign of these facilities as well, I also was a student worker in the facilities department so I got to pick up trash and replace divots after the spring thaw. LSSU is in Michigans UP on the Canadian border.
    I became a bit spoiled having access to well equipped shops so I knew I needed good equipment for my personnel shop.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Default Interesting Reads

I'll jump in....

I'm a disabled police officer with 9 years active service, currently on a disability pension (the last 9 years) and now have a 9-5 job running a 911 center .

Been playing around with wood for a number of years. More of a hobby, have no formal experieince in CNC or wood shops. I run a side business making nameplates as such like a lot of people here. My "Specialty" is scrolling (Delta 40-540).

I learn from many of my peers such as those in this forum and others.
    Craig

Default Expertise???

Well outside of the woodshop class I had in High School back in 1959 I have NONE...

I have done a few basic thinks around the house, but this is my first adventure into actually doing something creative with wood. My only saving grace is that I know a little about computers and I got this GREAT machine that always does what I tell it to, but now always what I wanted it to do... Hate machines that are smarter than me, but some would say that dosen't take much....

What else would expect from a retired Marine and Aerospace Engineer...
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

Okay. Wow. I'm in esteemed company. Before I extoll my life history, I'd like to ask a question of you all. It seems everyone here is rather aged. I don't want to say old or older, but experienced, if you will. I, on the other hand, turn 23 in October. Now, my question is, any ideas why that is?

My first assumption is the pay to play. The carvewright is a rather expensive machine, one not too many people my age would think of purchasing. I was only able to get it on credit. No, wait a moment- that's not it, I wouldn't think. I have friends that have paid more for televisions and gaming systems than we have for the carvewright. So then, is it that we are a dying breed? Is my generation such that the internet proliferates our lives to the extent that woodworking and other hands on thought provoking work is no longer mainstream in any way? I'm also a member over at OWWM.org- Old Wood Working Machines. The question was posed thence in a different wording, but the response was the same- people that care about the quality of a hand made piece of furniture, or real wood cabinetry- over melamine, mdf and the life- are becoming extinct. What is your opinion?

Now, that question out of the way, on to the doldrum history of the one named Michael. While still in High School, I taught myself computer repair and became the lead student tech at my alma mater. I also was a photographer and actor/ technician in the theatre as well as a trumpet player in Jazz band.
    I graduated and moved on in 2002 to CSU Pomona as a Theatre Major. There, I began as an actor and rather quickly became a tech. I had the wonderful oportunity to be a main stage actor, lighting tech, sound tech, master scenic carpenter and even wrote a short play that was produced at the college. While there, I worked at the local community theatre as a tech, ran the front desk of a motel, took care of the corporate warehouse for Del Taco, and continued my computer work on the side for friends and a few long standing customers. My third year, I got bored with college and decided to do one of the stupidest things I've done on one level, and the best on another- I dropped out to marry my high school sweetheart, Jamie. We had planned to move to Tennessee and start a life in a place I'd actually like to raise children in, but God stepped in and we stayed in California. At the time, I was working as an A/V installer, setting up and installing home theatres, corporate PA systems, conference rooms and the like. In a twist of fate- and my wrist- 2 months before we were to be wed and move, I was injured. I had to have surgery and 2 years of paperwork and physical therapy later was screwed over by the worker's comp system our wonderful governor changed when he came in to office. I then went to work as an operator for Verizon- did that for a few months until my brain melted. Good lord, that was a hideously boring job. Not to mention my new distain for the human race- it's amazing how few people know the basics of social interaction, especially over the phone.

Anyway, I quit to try to strike out on my own, first selling antiques and repairing vintage radios and tube equipment, then into woodworking. I wanted to start out small and make trinket boxes and whatnot to sell at the local fairs and farmer's markets, but Jamie and I were worried about them selling- that whole issue of people not caring about paying more for quality. Hence, we decided customization was needed, and found the carvewright. After the carvewright, a new laptop, a unisaw and bandsaw- everything else I already have- we're in debt by about $4K and have yet to create anything with the carvewright. I'm hoping and praying it works out, because if my gamble doesn't pay off and we have some cash coming in soon from my business, we shall flounder and be burried under our debt.

In closing, I'd like to thank you all for your wisdom and experience- I have very much enjoyed parusing this website and creating a necklace in my mind of all your many pearls of wisdom. If you are by chance a praying individual, please consider adding me to your list- I can use all the help I can get.

Thank you,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
    Okay. Wow. I'm in esteemed company. Before I extoll my life history, I'd like to ask a question of you all. It seems everyone here is rather aged. I don't want to say old or older, but experienced, if you will. I, on the other hand, turn 23 in October. Now, my question is, any ideas why that is?
    My guess is, and it is just a guess, is that as your friends continue in their lives and experience more of "all that life is about" they will continue to gradually broaden their interests to the point that, for some of them, hobbies like wood working will eventually gain some appeal. I know that has been the case for me. Even though I took shop classes in Jr and Sr High schools, I have just become interested in wood working as a hobby. I am 37 and I really congratulate you for having diverse enough interests to pursue woodworking as a hobby. When I was your age the only things that concerned me were fast cars, women and beer. Mostly women though.

Dale

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Corona View Post
    When I was your age the only things that concerned me were fast cars, women and beer. Mostly women though.

Dale
    Dale,

I'm 65 and those are still my main interest...
    Dirtydan
    A.K.A. The Gunny
    Every day I thank God for Mister Levi Strauss
    mailto:gunny@thegunnys.us
    http://www.thegunnys.us

9. Default

I've never noticed this thread before. At the risk of falling into the OLD guy catagory I guess I can share some boring stuff about myself. Back in the '50's my dad was a TV repairman, got me interested in electronics. He also had more time than money so when he wanted or needed something he just made it. Boats, trailers, gyrocopters, airplanes, built his own home and lake cabin... he was pretty amazing. Making things was pretty much a way of life for us.

My interest in electronics lead to computers just shortly after Steve Jobs sold his hippy van to finance his circuit boards.

I am a former police officer, I have always loved woodworking and computers. This machine combined both, Obviously I had to have one. I retired in 2002 and my wife and I run a small pond and watergarden business (Blue Iris Water Gardens) to supliment my retirement. Over the last 12 years it grew, we sell all over the country via our website. I had to study Japanese at Community College (oldest guy in the class but still got a 3.7 gpa) so we could travel to japan to buy our show quality koi from the Japanese breeders. It got to be work rather than fun so I hired a young guy to take my place and I went back to work as a PI. I got my first PI license back in 1968 when I was 19. I enjoy the work, we do a lot of criminal defense work and insurance fraud.

While I'm working I also spend a lot of time thinking about my CC and what I want to make next.

Some of the projects other board members have made are incredible and make me feel a little inadequate, but I'm learning and having fun!
    Terry

Wow I haven't been reading very much lately! I am so impressed with everyones talents. Well I guess I will give my background, my love for woodworking started in high school. I was a teacher assistant for my wood shop teacher. Plus I worked for Uncle who own a sign shop. Through my teacher I learned several wood working technics. Through my Uncle he taught me the sign trade. I was taught how to make special bits to carve signs. How to paint, sell custom carved signs.

After high school and working for my Uncle guess what line of work I went into?......Signs, woodworking? Nope!!!! I went into law enforcement at age 21! A week before I graduated from the academy I married my wife of 23 years plus dating her since our Junior year of high school.

We had 3 great boys and after 15 years as a peace officer I had to medically retire at the rank of Sgt. This has been almost 10 years, now I own my a sign shop. You may think I have had my sign shop since I retired? Nope!!!!! I still avoided turning my passion into a job.

So to stay busy I worked as a janitor at a local school, then I went to work at another police dept. But my body could not take so back to retirement I went.So 4 years ago I started my sign business travelling to fairs and working from home. I bought my 2 CC along with a ShopBot to help my back from hurting.

So far it has helped but this Oct. I will be having back surgery. Time will tell if I will still be in the woodworking business!

That is my life story..... hey wake up!!!!

Rick

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast