Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else notice the Announcement

For us neophytes - what is Centerline? And why do I need it?

Danni

Default "Two weeks" is finally here...

Well, at $50, it was an impulse buy. At $100 I need to check with the spouse I'd feel better if maybe part of the $100 could be credited toward the advanced software package (that supposedly includes Centerline), otherwise it feels like buying the same feature twice.

I was surprised to see the receipt posted above- Shipping? Since this is software, I'm surprised this isn't being done as an online download with activation, similar to the versions of designer. $12 shipping for what I imagine to be a CD on top of unexpectedly higher price adds a bit of insult to injury. But I can probably live with it.

I'm curious to hear the reviews once the early adopters get their packages in the mail.

Danni, well done
    "Neophytes " someone who has recently become involved in an activity and is still learning about it.

Like Paul has already posted
    Centerline will pay for it's self in no time in signs sold vs time for carving by the other methods.

Plus, my experience in 1 1/2 years of selling these, is the people want that deep, crisp text. It sells!
    Even if you do not plan on selling your work it is much more pleasing
    to the eye, and more appealing
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    For us neophytes - what is Centerline? And why do I need it?

Danni
    Centerline is a way of carving text as a series of vector cuts using a V-bit. The thickness of the lines is changed by varying the depth of the cut.

You want centerline because it typically carves much faster than Raster text cuts out, and looks very crisp. It can also generate smaller legible text than raster text.

If you're into sign making or other text-intensive applications, the amount of time saved and the crispness of the text make the purchase of Centerline a no brainer. If you're a hobbyist, you might want to search the forum for Centerline, find one of the sample board that Beta testers with Centerline have posted, and carve it for yourself to see if you must have it. You will need a 60 or 90 degree V bit.

thank you!

Danni

I've got to agree with most of you. It was advertised as a feature of the software when you bought the machine now they want $100 for it. I don't think there was ever an official announcement made that it would be $50 so that is just hearsay and cannot be held against LHR. If they had never advertised it as a feature that came with the machine then there would be no discussion...But they did. That's why $100 seems so painful to most.

Also, $12 bucks for shipping...come on!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Durtdawber View Post
    I don't think there was ever an official announcement made that it would be $50 so that is just hearsay and cannot be held against LHR.
    Actually $50 was what a bunch of us were told when we called into LHR, although there was no official announcement. I think that we all more or less understood that that was tentative, especially since we were told six months ago that the feature was "two weeks" away. Nonetheless, I was a bit surprised that the increase was 100% higher than the price that we were expecting.

Default hell All

I just bought a fullsize shopsabre with toolchanger ,4th axis,dgitizer, and a lot of software.Although a very good dependable machine and I'm well pleased the mike a shopsabre,they use all the componets the 70k to 100 k have and the best price.But Software is through the roof.What I spent on software from other manufactures was almost as much as the machine and not as easy to work as the cw.Take a look at vectric v-varve 395.00.At 100.00 centerline for the software for the cw is a good deal.Remember carvewright has to make money to keep improving the machine that virtually brought cnc to anyone who wanted it......just my opion and a view from another direction.lets help them keep going
    Ben
    Last edited by benluz; 07-26-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Ben,

That's a valid point but I didn't buy my machine as a commercial venture and $100 would buy a lot of wood. Besides, what if you bought the setup with the understanding that centerline was included, then found that you would have to pay an extra chunk of money to purchase it, were kept waiting for it for six months, then told the cost had doubled? I wish I could say "I'll just drink beer on Friday to offset the cost" but, alas, it's too far out of reach for me.
    Charles M

Cool

I really don't know what the problem is, if you can spend that much for the CC then you probably can afford the Software upgrade at $100.00, go figure.
    Once I get used to the CC, I will buy the Software, no problem.
    Have a GREAT day all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast