Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows vista

I read somewhere about a freeware app that did that. Can't remember.....CRS
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Vista can make use of flash to do things like store page files, and allow faster restore from hibernation. There is a good video on the subject on channel9.msdn.com from a couple of months ago.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Thanks for all the input the only problem is you are all speaking Latin and I still am speaking English, so let me summarize what I think you are saying in plan English. If you really want to improve Windows Vista RAM is the way to go. The flash drive is just like a little storage cabinet where you would keep your most frequently used router bits (information? ) so you can get at them quicker or WV can get reload them faster. rather than having to go thru the whole tool box. One of the self proclaimed computer experts at work said that it is just adding virtual memory to the computer then laughed the whole thing off saying it would not do anything.
    I put in the flash drive and a window came up and asked if I wanted to reserve 1830MBs and that is what Windows recommended to do. So I did I followed all the instructions and now it is in. Can't tell for sure if anything is faster or not because this is the first place I go. So Jury is still out in my book.
    Oh flash thing works on Macks to not sure if that is a computer or a truck,

Default Flash Drive

Hi Joe,

The Flash option takes advantage of a feature new to Windows Vista called "ReadyBoost". It does quite a bit on the back-end and shows performance enhancement for a lot of applications.

I look at it this way... If the computer's CPU (processor) is like a car's engine, then using the "ReadyBoost" feature of Vista is like an octain boost. It's meant to enhance performance and can provide a little advantage you would not otherwise have. When it comes to graphics intense programs, even a little bit can help a lot.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by mikesmall; 07-20-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Ed Kreyling Guest

Default Vista and Text Fonts

Greetings Everyone,

I loaded Designer on to a Vista Home Premium laptop. When I try to use the Text editor to put text onto the board I get an error from Vista when I try to enlarge or move the text. The message I get is: "gui.exe has stopped working. Windows will close it and alert you if a solution is found."

I do not have the same issue on an XP laptop. Anyone else notice this?

Ed

Default Computer experts needed

I had the same problem with my laptop. I did take some advice and ran out and put on a flash stick made for Window Vista ready boost. I can't say 100 % yet that it cured the problem but I have not seen it lately. What I have noticed is the longer I am working on a design after awhile the computer will start to hesitate more and do some funky things. Like if I put in a text box and go to move it doesn't follow the cursor. I have to zoom in and out on the board then it will move. But again this only seems to happen if I have been working on the designer for a longer period of time. When you first open it everything works fine.

Something possibly to try would be to run designer out of "XP" mode I'm not sure how to configure it, but i know that you can run in legacy modes. Maybe someone will chime in to let you know how to do that. I have been running the 1.029 version for centerline on a older laptop with absolutely no slowdowns, or issues at all??

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Are you saying there is a way to run Vista in an XP mode? Or do I have to get XP

To run an program in XP mode:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Locate the applications executable. (gui.exe)
    3. Right click the executable and click the Properties option.
    4. Select the Compatibility tab.
    5. Select the "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode" option.
    6. From the drop-down list, choose the operating system mode you want the program to run in.
    7. If necessary, select the option to run the program as an administrator.
    8. Click OK.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Quote Originally Posted by oldjoe View Post
    Are you saying there is a way to run Vista in an XP mode? Or do I have to get XP
    Yes... You can choose what format to run in. 2000, xp, vista...

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast