Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oval Drill holes

LG,

You know, the chuck that came with my machine has never locked either. The one i purchased for backup does though.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default Removing the old adapter

This has proved the undoing of me. I tried pkunk's suggestion (blasting it with hair dryer - presumably to expand the metal and soften the loc-tight), but it won't budge. Have you discovered some magic procedure? Just to be clear, I'm trying to unscrew the pins on the side with an alan wrench, but they're as permanently sealed as they're supposed to be. Is it easier to simply pull the bit out the bottom of the adapter?

I actually considered using the metal-cutting head for my Dremel tool to saw off the old adapter (by cutting it in two halves on either side of the bit), but if the loc-tight is between the shank and the adapter, that won't help either. Add to that the fact that I would almost certainly damage the shank of the bit in such a drastic piece of surgery. Any thoughts?

cycollins

Cy,

Are you talking about removing the bit from the adapter? If so, your not going to hurt the carbide bit if you get it a little hotter than what a hairdryer will get it... if you have a grill lighter, or simply a cigarrette lighter hold the shank of the bit with a small pair of vise grips if necessary, and hold the flame right at the threads of the setscrews. What you are trying to accomplish is breaking down the locktite with heat. Once it is hot enough the setscrews really arent that tight. should be able to take the allenwrench, while holding the vicegrips and back them out pretty easily. Be careful as not to get burnt.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com

Default Ah, shucks!

I was looking forward to using the case-hardened-steel-cutting abrasive disks on my Dremel tool. I'm kind of pathetic that way. I have a rediculously large set of Dremel attachments because a.) I sadly equate having more tools with being handier and b.) I didn't know what half of them were for and I didn't know when I might need them (like now!). I've only every used a few of the cutting attachments, a couple of the buffing bits and some sanders. But I bet I'm the only 44 year-old kid on my block that has both the router table AND the drill-press attachment. Betcha I am. I'll give the heat treatment another try, but then it's the cutters. I want to see some sparks fly!

cycollins

I am using a press after using the heat gun if that helps.. CW has a quick change bit holder, it is way safer to work with the bits.

LG

After getting the set screws loose, it is normal to have to tap the tool out by using a punch. I had one that was stuck pretty good, and yet another I pulled out by hand.

Ron

When doing New Custom Home Builders Brisbane it is best to hire proper contractors.
    We provide Home Design and Building Contractor Services. Visit our Home Page/Website Link for more details.
    URL: New Custom Home Builders Brisbane

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234