Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joesow

Default joesow

I still can't break loose the QC Chuck using a heat gun. I have been advised that I will have to eat the QC body to red hot in order to break loose to Loc Tite. My fear is transmitting too much to the bearings. I can baffle the heat from all surrounding parts to protect from heat but am hesitant to apply that much heat with suggested propane torch. Any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My QC failed in my first 2 hours of operation. I think the QC is a poor design as when I observed the parts that flew out
    they looked to be defective from day one. Hopefully CW will make a change or the aftermarket suppliers will!

Joesow

Joe

Keep your chin up the QC is sometimes a tuff nut to crack. I changed my QC a few weeks ago. I followed the instructions with the exception of adding a 8" section of 3/4" conduit tubing on the wrench for better leverage. I used a heat gun and was able to set it so the air flow was directly on the QC nut. Use the square tool and insert it from the bottom. Hold the square wrench with a smaller diameter tube. Then grip the two extensions like a pair of plyers. Hold steady pressure while heat is applied. When the locktite heats up and releases spin the QC off the rest of the way before the locktite cools.

Carl
    The differance between the Master and the Apprentice,
    Is the skill in covering up his mistakes

My lastest instrument. #50

http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/showthread.php?t=6896

Your just not getting the chuck hot enough. Direct the heat downward toward the top of the chuck. Let the heat soak for at least 30 seconds, then rotate the chuck 1/3 the way and heat another 30 seconds, repeat. If it still wont break loose keep heating 30 seconds at a time turning in between tries. Make doubly sure that your turning the wrench the right way. If you hold the spindle in place the chuck will turn clockwise as viewed from the top. It's easy to get wrong when working on something upside down.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Joe,

That was an interesting putting the Allen wrench up through the bottom.... Never thought of that.... I have some #4 Square Drive Bits that might be long enough. I need to grind some of the metal off to make it fit the square...

Using the two wrenches from the bottom is a very interesting concept.....

I also wish they had designed the spindle shaft with a nut on the end so you could use 2 wrenches to remove the QC like you do on a router.... RJustice is working on a after market fix.... Soon...

Thanks,

AL

I have one that is stuck too.... ended up replacing the Z Spindle.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-17-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default To all that replied

Thanks fellows for your advice. I am waiting for the tools to arrive from RJustis and hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. Supposedly, CW is sending me a warranty replacement as my machine only has two hours on it before the QC flew apart. I am very disappointed as to the quality of the QC. I think CW had better make a decision to come up with a better chucking arrangement. I hope RJustis gets time to get his aftermarket Chuck on the market soon. I'm sure it will be a sell out for him. I put CW's QC in the category of a good thought but a bad move. The inner ball retainer ring of the QC broke because the spiral Grooves were too deep and there was less than .030 wall thickness holding the bit adapter in place. The Bit adapter was fretted and the Inner ring has a crystallization at the break point suggesting much flexing before it let loose. All I had left was the QC taper body left. I found all the parts except the three balls and I suspect they are orbiting around the Earth. It is a great machine but I don't have much faith in the QC ever being worth a Tinkers Damn. Come on CW, you have a great machine but it will always limp from the QC Achilles Heel if you don't come up with a better chucking arrangement. I'd be very happy to have a wrench or two to change the bit. Quick Change is a good idea but if it flies apart, who needs it. I use a Router table daily and change bits several time an a hour and I could be happy with that type of arrangement on the CW.

I'll get off my Soap Box and once again, I thank you all for your replies. I will give you the results if I ever get the Bugger off!

Joesow

6. Default

I too have cursed the QC. It is a great idea actually. Just needs some modifications to improve its reliability. I have had QC problems since day one. Having the flat wrench that you use to change the QC with is a lifesaver. If the QC gets a little sticky or wont release the bit then with the flat wrench just give it a little turn to free it up. Also im not sure if its S.O.P from LHR but i put a dab of Liquid Wrench w/Cerflon on the collets with every use before inserting into the chuck.
    Then later i remember cursing my drill. Because the bit wouldnt stay tight and would spin in the chuck then i would try to tighten it more and the key was stripping causing me to bust my knuckles. Hmmmmmm.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

In reference to QC , if you have any old wrenches from old raidial-arm saws or some table saws. I am speaking of the blade changing wrench. One fit the nut perfectly,you also have a long handle.

Wooden Nickel

Default Hang in there.

My first QC was defective also. I tried and tried to get it off with no luck. Called LHR, they took the machine back and replaced the QC for me. Haven't had a single problem since and that has been about 9 months ago.
    Gimme Steam.

Default I finally got the QC loose!

Thanks to the help of Ron Justice's square bit for the spindle and his flat wrench the QC finally broke loose with a resounding snap reminisce of a bolt breaking off. First, I thought the square bit had broken then when I saw the QC turning, I knew I finally made it. I used Jeff's suggestion of heating each quadrant for about 30 seconds and after 5 minutes of heating it broke loose. There seemed to be way too much Thread locker on the spindle. Thanks to all for your support and answers to my dilemma.

Now if I could get the QC that supposedly was shipped from CW, I might get back to carving. The CW phones are still out of operation as Houston really took a blow from Ike. Ole Murphy has worked overtime on me with this new toy!

joesow

10. Default

Congratulations on finally loosening the QC! With Ron Justice's tools and Jeff's heating suggestion, you managed to break it loose after dealing with excessive thread locker. Now, you're just waiting on the QC shipped from CW to get back to carving, despite phone issues due to Hurricane Ike. Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect!
    If you're as intrigued as I am about technical solutions, I highly recommend checking out my latest blog post.
    Setting up your Blink wireless camera system, including Blink cameras and the Blink doorbell camera, is crucial for ensuring your home's security and peace of mind. In this guide, we'll walk you through the process of setting up your Blink wireless cameras and doorbell camera, ensuring a seamless installation and setup experience.

Blink Wireless Camera Setup
    Setting up your Blink wireless cameras is a straightforward process that begins with downloading the Blink Home Monitor app on your smartphone or tablet. Once you've installed the app, follow the on-screen instructions to create a Blink account or log in to your existing account. Next, unpack your Blink camera and insert the batteries into the battery compartment. Open the Blink app and follow the prompts to add a new device, selecting "Camera" from the available options. Scan the QR code on the back of the camera to pair it with your Blink account and connect it to your Wi-Fi network. Once the camera is successfully connected, position it in the desired location and adjust its angle to capture the area you want to monitor.

Blink Doorbell Camera Wired Installation
    Installing your Blink doorbell camera involves a wired setup to ensure continuous power and reliable performance. Begin by turning off the power to your existing doorbell at the circuit breaker to prevent any electrical accidents. Remove your old doorbell and disconnect the wires from the terminals. Mount the Blink doorbell camera using the provided mounting bracket and screws, ensuring that it is securely attached to your doorframe. Connect the existing doorbell wires to the corresponding terminals on the Blink doorbell camera, following the wiring diagram provided in the user manual. Turn the power back on at the circuit breaker and wait for the doorbell camera to power up. Open the Blink app and follow the on-screen instructions to add the doorbell camera to your Blink account and configure its settings.

Blink Camera Doorbell Setup:
    Once your Blink doorbell camera is installed, you can customize its settings and preferences using the Blink Home Monitor app. Adjust motion detection sensitivity, set up activity zones, and configure notification preferences to receive alerts when motion is detected or someone rings the doorbell. You can also enable two-way audio communication to speak with visitors remotely using your smartphone or tablet. Additionally, consider integrating your Blink doorbell camera with other smart home devices for enhanced security and convenience.

By following these steps, you can easily set up and install your Blink wireless cameras and doorbell camera, ensuring comprehensive home security coverage and peace of mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast